• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any ORM (Hibernate) boffins about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ORM (Hibernate) boffins about?

I am currently designing a data warehouse and have had the most bizarre conversation with the lead developer who says it is not possible to write an ORM class for one of my tables. (Don't ask why he is writing an ORM class for a data warehouse )

So the table accepts delta loads from a source system

PK Source_ID Int
    PK Load_Date DateTime
    Field_1
    Field_2

So the primary key of the table is the source id from the source system, and the datetimestamp.

Easy enough.

How is it hard to write an ORM class to represent one row?

Take the following example

Source_ID Load_Date Field_1 Field_2 Field_3
    123 14/03/2010 09:00 ABC DEF GHI
    123 14/03/2010 09:15 ABC DEF JKL

So he needs to write one ORM class for Source_ID with a collection of ORM classes (as a property of the first class) to represent each row for that source_id ordered in descending date order.

He could even add a flag to the constructor to indicate a kind of "lazy load" of only the latest row.

Anyone spot a problem with this?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I think the problem he has is that he does not have a unique identifier to attach his Get request to. Give him an identity field or a sequence and send him on his way.

Then ignore the field when you do the real work.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I think the problem he has is that he does not have a unique identifier to attach his Get request to. Give him an identity field or a sequence and send him on his way.

Then ignore the field when you do the real work.
      And therein lies the problem, I don't understand what is wrong with using the PK as the unique identifier.

Linky
      Last edited by suityou01; 15 March 2011, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        And therein lies the problem, I don't understand what is wrong with using the PK as the unique identifier.

Linky
        Nothing is wrong with using the PK as the unique identifier for a row, but you seem to want a class that represents multiple rows.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

So he needs to write one ORM class for Source_ID with a collection of ORM classes (as a property of the first class) to represent each row for that source_id ordered in descending date order.
          I disagree at that point. With this data-first approach, the ORM class should represent the same as what 1 row in the database table does. Otherwise you're really going against the grain. The unique identifier for the class should be a <composite-id> of source ID and timestamp, like it is in the database.

If you want to group them by source ID, you're introducing business logic, not representing the database. Do that in code elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Nothing is wrong with using the PK as the unique identifier for a row, but you seem to want a class that represents multiple rows.
            Yeah sort of.

class somerows {

private someRow m_colRows();

somerows (flag loadLatestOnly, int source_Id) //If latest only then only load the latest row
            {

//Build list of keys (source_id and load_date as composite key relating to the source_id argument) and instantiate an instance of someRow and stuff into the collection.
            }

}

Then add a property to the class someRows to retrieve the someRow instances.
            Last edited by suityou01; 15 March 2011, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              I disagree at that point. With this data-first approach, the ORM class should represent the same as what 1 row in the database table does. Otherwise you're really going against the grain. The unique identifier for the class should be a <composite-id> of source ID and timestamp, like it is in the database.

If you want to group them by source ID, you're introducing business logic, not representing the database. Do that in code elsewhere.
              Did you follow the link I posted about composite keys? That is exactly what I want.

Comment

Linky
                Because wearing my awkward sod hat who is to say the following won't occur

123 14/03/2010 09:15 ABC DEF MNO

and you no longer have a primary key to play about with.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Because wearing my awkward sod hat who is to say the following won't occur

123 14/03/2010 09:15 ABC DEF MNO

and you no longer have a primary key to play about with.
                  The data is trigger driven so there can be no clashes.

The story is, user in source system updates or creates one record - trigger fires, insert happens.
                  The datetimestamp here could go to seconds or milliseconds if it pleases you

Comment

Did you follow the link I posted about composite keys? That is exactly what I want.
                    class somerows {

private someRow m_colRows();

somerows (flag loadLatestOnly, int source_Id) //If latest only then only load the latest row
                    {

//Build list of keys (source_id and load_date as composite key relating to the source_id argument) and instantiate an instance of someRow and stuff into the collection.
                    }

}

Then add a property to the class someRows to retrieve the someRow instances.
                    A class with a composite key will still give you one object per row. What you are calling someRows will be a collection or array of those objects.

What you could do is either have an instance object per row class and a Facade class to encapsulate the business logic of "get the latest row for this particular source id" or a source object and a row object with proper one to many relationship between "sources" and the rows in the table.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X