• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benchwarming tactics/strategy mixed bag

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benchwarming tactics/strategy mixed bag

Morning folks,

I'm a long term permie (decent warchest built up) looking at grabbing my first contract. I am happy to stay a permie until my parachute arrives, and happy with the risks associated of grabbing the parachute, jumping out of the plane and the parachute failing to open.

With that in mind and after reading about lots of folk "benchwarming" I was wondering if any of you folk had any specific tips you use for searching for a new gig.

As I am new to this I don’t have a network of contractor contacts who I can "tap up" for work and am currently going through cwjobs, jobserve, itjobboard and monster. Tweaking my CV for each application to show me in the best possible light.

Any websites that I am not checking that I should be checking ?

Is it worth getting on the phone and speaking to agencies direct and "having me on their books"

Anything else that I defintely should be/should not be doing ?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Apologies if the above have been answered in other threads but a quick search didnt have any specific advice ref searches and particular websites/techniques.

Originally posted by WookieTramp View Post
    Morning folks,

I'm a long term permie (decent warchest built up) looking at grabbing my first contract. I am happy to stay a permie until my parachute arrives, and happy with the risks associated of grabbing the parachute, jumping out of the plane and the parachute failing to open.

With that in mind and after reading about lots of folk "benchwarming" I was wondering if any of you folk had any specific tips you use for searching for a new gig.

As I am new to this I don’t have a network of contractor contacts who I can "tap up" for work and am currently going through cwjobs, jobserve, itjobboard and monster. Tweaking my CV for each application to show me in the best possible light.

Any websites that I am not checking that I should be checking ?

Is it worth getting on the phone and speaking to agencies direct and "having me on their books"

Anything else that I defintely should be/should not be doing ?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Apologies if the above have been answered in other threads but a quick search didnt have any specific advice ref searches and particular websites/techniques.
    Websites, looking good.
    Speak to the agencies direct is good.
    Know what you want.
    Be Patient.
    Good Luck.

Took me 3 months first time around, but am now in the market I wanted.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Cheers Scrag, I am definitely waiting for the right contract and not just any contract

Comment

Working...
      X