• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

interview dress code in Germany?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interview dress code in Germany?

Hello, is a suit required for a job interview in Germany? What if the company is "hip" as in games or media?
    Der going over der to get der der's.

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Hello, is a suit required for a job interview in Germany? What if the company is "hip" as in games or media?
    This is what you need.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      This is what you need.

That's Bavaria, not Germany! The Bavs don't reckon they're owt but Bavarians..

Comment

Personally I'd go for the suit and tell them you are flexible and can dress down when they imply you are too much of a stick in the mud brit with your suit on.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
          Personally I'd go for the suit and tell them you are flexible and can dress down when they imply you are too much of a stick in the mud brit with your suit on.
          I thought it was obvious what you do. In sales mode (interviews....) wear a suit, the rest of the time go native.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Dress smartly, doesn't have to be a suit but don't turn up in jeans. If it's a games company then I would say a tie would be optional but I would still turn up in a proper jacket. Think trendy advertising salesman, smart but "hip". Better to be overdressed than underdressed. Nothing worse than sitting in an interview with jeans on when everyone else is wearing a smart suit.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 March 2011, 17:13.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

OK thanks all, I'll go with the lederhosen. Glad I had this forum to point me in the right direction. Could have been very embarrassing.
              Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

What's that song?

Jemand sien uns Lederhosen aus, Lederhosen aus, Lederhosen aus...

Or summert...

Comment

Either will do - suit or smart trousers, shirt and jacket.

Failing that, leather shorts.

Comment

I always wear a suit to interviews here. For many years I noticed that no-one wore suits at work here but recently thats changed and a lot of younger people or someone in a slightly higher position (i.e. PM,) particularly in the finance sector wear suits now.

Used to wear a conservative black suit with white shirt and nice tie but in recent years tend to wear smart casual suits with a nice shirt and tie. Quite often though the interviewer(s) will not be in suits which gives you an idea of what you can wear to work. For the first week I tend to wear smart casual trousers and a nice shirt and then slowly go downhill. Germans do quite like wearing jeans, smart shoes and a shirt and tie which I find weird!!!

On one project, wear I sit, most people wear suits but I'm not too sure what they do but seem to be PM and mangement types whereas none of the techies do (some of them are a right scruffy bunch.) On the other project only management wear suits unless there is a top-bod meeting or interviews are going on.

This article might help...or this thread
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X