• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Data Privacy Statement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Privacy Statement

Had an agent ring up about a position today. Was asked if I would like an engineering position, no details about OS, software, etc. and I politely declined but they asked if I could send them an update profile which is okay with me as they're a large agency and have some big outsourcing projects (nearly did some work for them a while back.) The mail came through with a 'Data Privacy Statement' for me to sign and send back, eh! Basically it states that they can will keep my details for 12 months and forward them to interested companies (with my permission) but will not pass them onto a 3rd party. After 12 months they will delete my details unless we enter into a contract. This is the German Data Protection Act so do UK agencies do this?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Had an agent ring up about a position today. Was asked if I would like an engineering position, no details about OS, software, etc. and I politely declined but they asked if I could send them an update profile which is okay with me as they're a large agency and have some big outsourcing projects (nearly did some work for them a while back.) The mail came through with a 'Data Privacy Statement' for me to sign and send back, eh! Basically it states that they can will keep my details for 12 months and forward them to interested companies (with my permission) but will not pass them onto a 3rd party. After 12 months they will delete my details unless we enter into a contract. This is the German Data Protection Act so do UK agencies do this?
    Are you asking if UK Agencies act with openess and integrity?
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I got phoned yesterday from an angency I contacted once in 2008, so no
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

I often get phoned by people I've never heard of from agencies I've never heard of. I have no idea how they get my details.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

do UK agencies do this?
          No

And if there was a law against it it wouldn't make any difference. Legislation never stopped all the ads for gigs that don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            No

And if there was a law against it it wouldn't make any difference. Legislation never stopped all the ads for gigs that don't exist.
            Do you know an agent who wouldn't leg it with the database when they leave an agency?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I often get phoned by people I've never heard of from agencies I've never heard of. I have no idea how they get my details.
              WHS.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

This is the German Data Protection Act so do UK agencies do this?
                You joking right?

Even if you manage to get them to leave you alone from 1-5 years using the various rude then legal methods I'm employed they will still start spamming you after that.

Though I have enjoyed upsetting some agents by telling them I'm reporting them to the Information Commissioner immediately due to how they have used my data.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

One of the principles of the UK data protection act is that data should only be kept as long as necessary. There's nothing concrete to stop agencies interpreting this as "until the sun burns out".

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    One of the principles of the UK data protection act is that data should only be kept as long as necessary. There's nothing concrete to stop agencies interpreting this as "until the sun burns out".
                    That's fine but they aren't allowed to harass i.e. spam your mail box, telephone you continually when you have asked to be removed from their database. Neither are they allowed to include you and others in a group email in the "To" box where you can clearly see the full names of the recipients.

BTW Oxfam are nearly as bad as some agencies in getting off their mailing list. If you are doing anything for Oxfam I am not sponsoring you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X