• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

45p per mile

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45p per mile

With the alllowable/acceptable mileage rate going up in April are those who charge their customers for travel increasing the rate to 45p or keeping it at the current rate ??

Useful info here -budget 2011f (warning pdf)
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would charge the client what I could get away with

45p a mile is what you can claim from your employer - it doesn't need to match what the client gets charged. For example, in one permie job, I got 12p a mile (and a company car). Clients were charged 60p a mile, and this was 11years ago, so I don't expect that they are being charged any less than that these days.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

sweet... wasn't sure if this was just rumour...

I always hit the 10k limit and my costs have gone up a bit... although only up to 11p a mile for diesel (+other costs)

Comment

How much do you charge your clients?

I run my own one-man Technical Writing business, and I currently charge my clients 55p/mile for trips to site (plus any local mileage to hotel etc). I can't claim it all against tax, but that's another issue.

I wonder what other contractors are charging? I'd be interested to see.

Philip Tory

Mod note: Welcome Phillip, please read the T&Cs of this forum regarding advertising. Thanks.

Comment

45p per mile

I'm just in the process of moving to a new work location. I am employed by my own limited company. I cannot charge the client for travel.

My question:

Am I correct in saying that my company can pay me 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles incurred during the current financial year? My daily round trip will be 70 miles, therefore my company will owe me £31.5 per day. At the end of each month, my company will then pay me the total for the month, say, 20 days x £31.50 = £630.

The £630 will be tax free for me ie I won't need to declare it on my self assessment tax return. My company will be able to offset the £630 against corporation tax at the end of the year, meaning a saving of 21% x £630 = £132.30.

This can exist within the 24 month rule.

Have I got all this right?

Thanks, Backrubber
            Last edited by administrator; 2 October 2012, 12:39. Reason: Link removed

Comment

Originally posted by backrubber View Post
              I'm just in the process of moving to a new work location. I am employed by my own limited company. I cannot charge the client for travel.

My question:

Am I correct in saying that my company can pay me 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles incurred during the current financial year? My daily round trip will be 70 miles, therefore my company will owe me £31.5 per day. At the end of each month, my company will then pay me the total for the month, say, 20 days x £31.50 = £630.

The £630 will be tax free for me ie I won't need to declare it on my self assessment tax return. My company will be able to offset the £630 against corporation tax at the end of the year, meaning a saving of 21% x £630 = £132.30.

This can exist within the 24 month rule.

Have I got all this right?

Thanks, Backrubber
              You are correct but when you get to 10 000 miles in the tax you can then claim 25p per mile over that limit and still incur no BIK and can offset against CT.

Comment

Originally posted by backrubber View Post
                The corporation tax rate is now 20%.

Comment

45p per mile

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                  You are correct but when you get to 10 000 miles in the tax you can then claim 25p per mile over that limit and still incur no BIK and can offset against CT.
                  Thanks for the confirmation JamJarST.

Comment

Passenger miles

Just a reminder you can also claim 5p per mile per passanger for each extra passanger on the journer, but only if your employer pays it to you - wheras basic mileage can be claimed even if not employer reimbursed.

Comment

Working...
                    X