• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anti-virus software scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-virus software scam

I'm not sure if I'll get a KUATB for this, but has anyone else received these long-distance phone calls from abroad, claiming that they've been monitoring your hard disk and found a virus on it that could bring it down any second?

I had two such calls over the weekend. It would be funny if it wasn't serious.

I politely told them to fuck off, but I can imagine many falling for it.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm not sure if I'll get a KUATB for this, but has anyone else received these long-distance phone calls from abroad, claiming that they've been monitoring your hard disk and found a virus on it that could bring it down any second?

KUATB.

There's a couple of threads end of last year. They pretend to be Microsoft. Someone tried to get my old mum to sign up, after an hour and three different Indian call centre staff they still hadn't managed to get her to type the right install instructions. Eventually she slammed the phone down.

I phoned her up the other day with a thick Indian accent asking to speak to 'Mrs MF, this is Raj from Microsoft' she swore at me and then slammed the phone down. I phoned back ten minutes later and let her tell me that the bastards had tried it again.

(Then again I do sometimes answer the house phone in a Chinese accent and say 'Ying Ting restaurant what you want order? - Makes me laugh)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      KUATB.

There's a couple of threads end of last year.
      I suspected as much. Last year, eh? I'm a bit disappointed that they've taken this long to get around to me. Especially as I have worked for Microsoft!

Anyway, I'm glad your mum escaped.

Comment

The Guardian has run several articles about this and even managed to track down the people behind it.

The most recent article, with links to previous ones, can be found here.

Comment

I suspected as much. Last year, eh? I'm a bit disappointed that they've taken this long to get around to me. Especially as I have worked for Microsoft!

Anyway, I'm glad your mum escaped.
          Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India | Technology | The Guardian

They must be working there way through the S's.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Of course. At that rate I expect Timberwolf to get a call soon, but zeity will have to wait at the back!

Thanks for the links by the way everyone. When I get a mo I'll have a look.

Comment

I love those phone calls but they always happen when i am not at home, i have left strict instructions with Mrs SM to ask them to call back later when i am home so i can find out exactly what they want me to do, i reckon i could string em along for ages

Comment

My missus got one the other day. When she told them hubby was an infosec superguru they hung up...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I got a call a few months ago whilst sat on the bench and bored one afternoon. Managed to string them along for half an hour before pushing it too far by claiming to be the Lord High Priest of Cheshire and Lancashire. Apparently my laptop was the worst case they had ever come across.

When finally rumbled the cheeky tw*t at the other end accused me of deliberately wasting his time.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Not phone call; but just had a page open that started "scanning" my PC and "finding" all sorts of malware and it almost fooled me, it looked so exactly like an authentic Windows control panel page that I bet a lot of people would get taken in and dowload their "remedy". Beware! These bastards are getting better all the time.

PS Googling "Atomic Rooster Devils Answer" - one of the Youtube or lyric links.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X