• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things I want to know

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I want to know

1. If you hold in a trump, where does it go? Does it get absorbed inside (yuk)?

Is that really the only thing you want to know?

It doesn't get absorbed no, I expect it either leaks out slowly or just bubbles around until you have a poo.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Don't know the answer to 1.

But here's question 2.

If you use an appliance that is not connected to the electricity company's return wire, how inefficient is this? That is, you only use one wire from the electric company, the live one, and earth locally.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Is that really the only thing you want to know?

It doesn't get absorbed no, I expect it either leaks out slowly or just bubbles around until you have a poo.
        With some people it smells like it found another exit via their mouth.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

But here's question 2.

If you use an appliance that is not connected to the electricity company's return wire, how inefficient is this? That is, you only use one wire from the electric company, the live one, and earth locally.
          Ground and neutral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neutral is locally grounded, so it's the same thing.

Comment

There was one thing on QI the other week (Dave / Gold or whatever)

Birds in a lorry - weigh X, birds takeoff and fly in the lorry same weight.

The lorry only weighs less when they fully exit out of the lorry - why?

Bing!

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
              There was one thing on QI the other week (Dave / Gold or whatever)

Birds in a lorry - weigh X, birds takeoff and fly in the lorry same weight.

The lorry only weighs less when they fully exit out of the lorry - why?

Bing!
              Downforce from the birds wings. Weight is a force and the birds go up forcing the air down.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

But here's question 2.

An interesting question. Prawn's answer of earth and neutral being the same isn't acutally that daft, although strictly speaking it is wrong.

The substation will have tap offs from the transformer, each one being a phase. As a home owner you only consume one phase, so your neutral is acutally bolted down to the return path of this phase.

Where Prawn is verging on correct is when the supply head is of TN-CS type (terra/netural combined) where the earth and neutral are both earth at the supply.

If you've ever got a pisser from a florrie circuit where some little darling has borrowed a neutral you will understand that neutral should be considered logically seperate from the earth (actually now called CPC - circuit protection conductor).

It is quite feasible to provide your own earthing conductors and use this instead of the company's one, and in section 6 of the regs (Building sites, caravans and marinas IIRC) you have to. The maximum disconnection time is also halved from 0.4 to 0.2 seconds I think.

So in short (pun intended) it is no less efficient to provide your own earthing arrangements, but neutral and earth are not the same.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Downforce from the birds wings. Weight is a force and the birds go up forcing the air down.

So....

If the back doors were open on a large artic, on a very sensitive weigh bridge and I threw a radio controlled glider in - would it register as increased weight before it hit the 'cab' partition at the back?

Bing!

Comment

Originally posted by Sands of Time View Post
                    So....

If the back doors were open on a large artic, on a very sensitive weigh bridge and I threw a radio controlled glider in - would it register as increased weight before it hit the 'cab' partition at the back?

Bing!
                    No
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X