• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT DD

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT DD

Anyone know why HMRC take so long bothering to request the DD payment from the company account?

I'm usually pretty prompt with my return, within the first week of the quarter, and they don't request payment for another 5-6 weeks.

If they are doing a DD run around 12th of the month, why not throw all VAT to be paid into that.

I really don't like having VAT sat in my bank account as it skews my view of the money in there.

Am thinking about stopping the DD and going back to doing the bank transfer as soon as I have completed my return.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Anyone know why HMRC take so long bothering to request the DD payment from the company account?

I'm usually pretty prompt with my return, within the first week of the quarter, and they don't request payment for another 5-6 weeks.

If they are doing a DD run around 12th of the month, why not throw all VAT to be paid into that.

I really don't like having VAT sat in my bank account as it skews my view of the money in there.

Am thinking about stopping the DD and going back to doing the bank transfer as soon as I have completed my return.
    I have a seperate deposit account set up for the company and I plan on chucking all the VAT and CT in there every time I get an invoice paid. Put the DD on that account and it should take care of itself, leaving the co. current account showing the real balance of cash.

The longer they leave it before colecting the more interest it earns as well.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Theoretically, it's so you can get a "bonus" from HMRC of having an extra week of interest, as an incentive to get people onto DD.

These days, it makes no difference, since interest rates are so low.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I pay my VAT by DD, I just have the one account (not worth having a deposit a/c at the moment) and the VAT man takes his money when he wants, I just forget about it once my accountant has submitted the return.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          I have a seperate deposit account set up for the company and I plan on chucking all the VAT and CT in there every time I get an invoice paid. Put the DD on that account and it should take care of itself, leaving the co. current account showing the real balance of cash.

The longer they leave it before collecting the more interest it earns as well.
          I run the same system, but I can't setup a DD from the deposit account though.

Interest???, this is 2011 not 2007, when I could expect a nice little figure from interest, now I don't even think about the interest, 36p last month!!! The rate is something dire like 0.1%.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            I don't really understand your concern or comment.

You've got an asset in your accounts and a liability.

Your bank account is just one piece of the puzzle.

Comment

Working...
            X