• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - How much for Year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses - How much for Year

Hi,

Just a quick question from newbie contractor.

How much is everyones expenses for the year.

Mine were @20K - Rent, travel, taxis, pc, pie, etc..

Just wanted to get ball park from others.

thanks!

Originally posted by test4500 View Post
    Hi,

Just a quick question from newbie contractor.

How much is everyones expenses for the year.

Mine were @20K - Rent, travel, taxis, pc, pie, etc..

Just wanted to get ball park from others.

thanks!
    Jeez - you didn't have to say you were a newbie...

Expenses are what you paid out, in cash, directly in your line of business, no more no less. There is no average
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Jeez - you didn't have to say you were a newbie...

Expenses are what you paid out, in cash, directly in your line of business, no more no less. There is no average
      WHS

If they were all wholly and exclusively for business purposes then don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        WHS

If they were all wholly and exclusively for business purposes then don't worry about it.
        And you have receipts to back them up.
        http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Have receipts - of course!

Would not be expenses if not.

just wondering roughly what other were.

Comment

About £5k, bugger all really. I run a tight ship.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by test4500 View Post
              Have receipts - of course!

Would not be expenses if not.

just wondering roughly what other were.
              I've spent the last 12 months working from home with occasional site visits and a few nights away, my expenses are under £4k for the period. I spent 9 months of 2009 working on the Hampshire coast and my expenses exceeded £20k.

Which would I call typical? Neither, there's no such thing as typical expenses in my book.

Comment

Around £4k... As usual...

I don't like spending money

Comment

The more expenses you put through the better really. It shows financial risk, which is good for IR35 purposes; also it’s another way of extracting money from the company.
                  The mentality I instil is that if you are paying for it to fulfil a contract then it’s more than likely you can expense it so ask your accountant.
                  http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Obviously others don't stay at £12 a night B&Bs sharing a room with tramps like I used to.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X