• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things to have on a business card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to have on a business card

Hi.

So far I have successfully managed to run my business w/o a business card.
    But so many people are asking and giving me theirs that I suppose it feels rude not to give back.
    I've got two opposing views in my head: minimalist and feature packed business card.
    With the advances in technology, I could pack my bc with a usb drive, flashlight, a set of lockpicks, QR code and probably still have some space for the company name
    The minimalist in me just wants a logo, my name and my email (with the company name in the domain).

What are people looking for in a business card?
    I'm thinking that one bit missing from a minimalist design is what my company does.
    But since I'm a one man army I'm flexible and I've gone through configuring routers, seo, programming, e-publishing, semantic web stuff all under an umbrella of one company it could be self-defeating.

Anyway, please post your thoughts.

My business cards have company name, my name, contact info and company web address. On the back I have the url to my linked in profile.

You can get a fairly decent looking set of 50 cards for minimal pennies from goodprint. Costs a little more if you want customisation to fit in with your own branding. I simply picked a template and nicked the style for use on letterheads, etc.

Comment

I've actually been wondering the same thing. What do people use as their title?

Director
      Principle Consultant
      Nerd
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I used to have Director but now have nothing. I don't see the point as I usually am asked for a card at the end of a contract where some PM makes "we must keep in touch" noises and they generally know who I am.

Comment

I have two sets of business cards. For consultancy work, I use "Partner"; for contracting, I use "Project Manager".

I got my cards designed by an American firm as part of a full design package for logos, stationery, business cards, etc. Very good value for money: Logo Design Pros. Have to make sure they understand that you want UK spec stationery, e.g. A4 paper for letterheads.

I use A Local Printer for my printing requirements as they give excellent service and work very carefully to the specs given to them. In years, never had a single problem. Unless you can get samples, don't go near recycled paper though from any supplier as they usually lack durability and feel like budget bog-roll compared to the proper shiny ones.

The content outwith the design is only: name, position, fixed line, mobile, email and address.

Some people I know who want their services advertised use the flip side as an advert. Usually a waste of time though as it'll get a glance at best.

Comment

I have a card with QR Code (we are meant to be Techies so lets at least be seen to be ontop of new trends), all the usual stuff on the card but decided against the Linkedin profile. All this on one side with the Company Logo on the back
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

Director
              Principle Consultant
              Nerd
              Something like 'consultant', 'developer' or 'project manager' is better than 'director' or 'ceo', because the latter set just describes you within the context of your own company, which says nothing about what you can do for the client.

Lately it's become common not to have a job title on them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

Director
                Principle Consultant
                Nerd
                I was on an ego trip when I got mine done so went with CTO!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for the surprisingly sensible answers.
                  In the end I went ahead with a minimal design (name+email) and a plenty of space to scribble around.
                  The QR on the back will resolve to page with more details, the contact emails will autoreply with more details too...
                  It's all booming for now, I can see the inside of a beautiful bubble.

Comment

Less is more with busIness cards. I'd have my name/company name r logo, phone number. Possibly my web URL. That's it.

Comment

Working...
                    X