• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can someone please explain what this is all about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please explain what this is all about?

France burka ban: Two arrested in Paris protest | Mail Online

Why aren't people in France allowed to wear what they like?

Need someone to help me understand how the government is allowed to act as fashion police?

That woman looks familiar.

Comment

Can we ban nuns with saucy habits?

Comment

France has a towel problem, and not a babel fish in sight
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Do nuns habits share a common ancient root with the hijab/burka/niqab/hoody?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Do nuns habits share a common ancient root with the hijab/burka/niqab/hoody?
            I believe it's at least a similar ethos, that being female modesty and generally covering the feminine body shape. Of course the veil has been worn to prevent men from seeing the woman's face in various cultures since long before Islam came about.
            Last edited by TykeMerc; 11 April 2011, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Can we ban nuns with saucy habits?

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Why aren't people in France allowed to wear what they like?

Need someone to help me understand how the government is allowed to act as fashion police?
                There's a very thin line between democracy and tyranny of the masses.

Personally I think wearing a burqa is stupid, but I don't think that's a reason to ban them. What should be dealt with severely is the act of forcing someone to wear a burqa against her will; however, a government which forces people not to wear a burqa is in my mind no better than a mysogynist who forces women to wear one.

One consequence of this is that some women who are oppressed by their husbands won't be able to go outdoors anymore.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

When I was a kid/young man in Bolton, we had, err a lot of Asians, including muslims. I don't recall any burqas then or face covering.

I tend to think it's either fashion thing in the islamic community (unlikely!) or a deliberate attempt to antagonise. I must admit I think they look awful and a bit 5th Century...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    There's a very thin line between democracy and tyranny of the masses.
                    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine
                    -- Thomas Jefferson

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter
                    -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                    X