• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New form of cold calling!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New form of cold calling!!!

Bloody cheek.

Mrs MF rushes into hand me my phone which is ringing. It says 'Unknown'. Cold call I think

So I answer it and get the typical 1-2 second pause before I talk to someone.

But it isn't someone. It's something!

It's a recorded freaking message asking if I have problems with debt! It's bad enough that it's a cold call, it's even bloody worse when they can't even be bothered to pay a Bob to do it!

Anyone else had one of these?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Nope.

They probably target failed tat salesmen.

Comment

They only target those at the bottom of the social ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        They only target those at the bottom of the social ladder.
        Least I own a ladder Dim.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

All those "Hugo Go-Go" entries on your sub-prime credit card statements represent a business opportunity for the caller.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Bloody cheek.

Mrs MF rushes into hand me my phone which is ringing. It says 'Unknown'. Cold call I think

So I answer it and get the typical 1-2 second pause before I talk to someone.

But it isn't someone. It's something!

It's a recorded freaking message asking if I have problems with debt! It's bad enough that it's a cold call, it's even bloody worse when they can't even be bothered to pay a Bob to do it!

Anyone else had one of these?
            No but I'm getting lots of texts "Sorry to hear about your recent accident but you may be entitled to compensation please call ##########" I've not had an accident but am in dispute with a builder claiming money for work he hasn't done.

Comment

I got a particularly depressing ad scam this morning, from a chap claiming to be from the fire service.

Comment

There's a lad on Leeds City station who 'just needs 90p..' for his train fare home. Everday I give it to him and he keeps on losing it the next day - dummy!

Mind you, I wonder who's buying him the can of Stella he always has in his hand?

Comment

I have had this one. I have also had one from the same people but the number shows. I did a search on the web and they seem to be pretty prolific and a lot of people are complaining about them. They have all been in trouble about this before as you can see from the BBC news link below.

BBC NEWS | Business | Debt firms warned over cold calls

Citizens Advice are on the case according to news from last month

Citizens Advice lodges super complaint against cold call debt firms | Money | guardian.co.uk

I can't remember the company that was involved. I got it when I searched the web for the number that came up. There was alot of talk about how to handle the call. Pressing 5 thinking you can speak to an operator to get yourself off is akin to hitting unsubcribe on spam. You will get it worse. There was a debate ongoing that the best thing to do is listen right to the end. This will register you have listened and didn't respond so may drop you off. If you cut the call off or press 5 they will continue to target you but other people in this discussion said that was rubbish.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by configman View Post
                    No but I'm getting lots of texts "Sorry to hear about your recent accident but you may be entitled to compensation please call ##########" I've not had an accident but am in dispute with a builder claiming money for work he hasn't done.
                    Mind you don't end up having an accident. Perhaps the cold caller knows something you don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X