• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How queer....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How queer....

Its renewal time, and I wanted a pay rise as there are opportunities closer to home paying (a lot!) more money and for much longer term (9 months vs 3 months)... and frankly im performing a role which is much more than was originally outlined.... its just turned out that way.

I get called in to the top office and told 'you will be offered a renewal... please dont mention this but we not everyone can stay due to budgets.. well be calling people in over the next day or so...'

The client is letting some contractors go, and making a small number of permies redundant.... so in all honesty I should be flattered to be kept on...

Then the agent offers to cut his fixed margin from the PSL agreement, which was certainly reasonable, and I had no problem with their usual cut, to keep me there by giving me in effect an 8% pay rise....

Never happened to me before... have decided to inform them tomorrow that I will be happy to renew for the specified term as frankly the client, and the agency, have both been upfront (apart from one early glitch which was remedied) and acted in a business like fashion... laid there cards on the table, and then said to me 'no pressure, if you need a week to consider the options, then take it, and if you decide to go we'll agree a handover'.

Havent been treated this well for a long time. My thoughts are that the ongoing business relationship is worth more than the potential extra income over the longer term...
    Last edited by mcquiggd; 14 March 2006, 01:33.
    Vieze Oude Man

You should publish

the name of the agent. I would love to get such an easy ride. Who is it?

Comment

Credit Where Credit's Due

Yes, do name the agent. "Name and Praise" has just as much of a place as "Name and Shame".
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Please get me a job there.

Comment

It's amazing what people will try when their backs are to the wall. Even honest communication.

As long as you're happy with having been told what your price should be by the customer that's cool.

Comment

Working...
          X