• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contrating in Hong Kong for a very short time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contrating in Hong Kong for a very short time

Hi

I am contracting in the UK via my Ltd and if I get send to Hong Kong for 3 months and still get paid in GBP via my Ltd, do I have to pay tax in Hong Kong?

I got taxed by PRC for the time I was physically present in Beijing - I had to state exact dates over a 12 month period and they calculated it by the day - no joke. I did not get taxed by PRC whilst I was not there but taxed by the UK.

I had to claim back from the UK the tax that PRC took for the periods I was there - it was a right pain.

I was paid by the office in Beijing in dollars to my UK ltd.

HK might be different - don't know.

Fab place HK I would go in a drop of a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
      Hi

I am contracting in the UK via my Ltd and if I get send to Hong Kong for 3 months and still get paid in GBP via my Ltd, do I have to pay tax in Hong Kong?
      As a UK citizen you can visit for leisure or business purposes for up to 180 days but you are not allowed to work or seek employment in HK. So if anyone asks you are just visiting a client and make sure the invoice is to your UK agent as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Punter View Post
        As a UK citizen you can visit for leisure or business purposes for up to 180 days but you are not allowed to work or seek employment in HK.
        Uh, how can you go for business purposes and not work?
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          Consultant visiting your clients to solicit business, attending meetings or conferences etc. As long as payment is made outside HK to a UK employer, HK tax won't be payable.

Comment

IT is not work!

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            Iam currently on a short term contract in Saudi and my Business visa says "Not Permitted to work"
            I guess working means labouring in the 38C sun

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
              Iam currently on a short term contract in Saudi and my Business visa says "Not Permitted to work"
              I guess working means labouring in the 38C sun
              And does your ClientCo accept this as a good reason that you aren't doing anything productive?
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Slash,

I went to HK for the first time over Easter (got a cheap 5 day deal from Oz and had never been there). Have you been to HK before?

It's a dunghole. Where to start...? It's VERY polluted, VERY crowded, VERY dull unless you like shopping and plastic-paddy theme pubs. Zero culture apart from money and consumerism, the beaches are rubbish, anything touristy is rubbish (probably worth having one night at the Peak), theres basically NO wildlife left... I saw all the UK expats over the other side of the island (which looked worse than Majorca but without the nice beaches) and it wasn't inspiring.

It doesn't even have any interesting Asian culture.

If you've been stuck in Sheffield all your life then it might have some appeal, but you couldn't pay me enough to go there. Sure you could probably meet some other expats and have a little slice of the UK but with sun (and smog), but I'd rather freeze in London anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
                  It's a dunghole. Where to start...? It's VERY polluted, VERY crowded, VERY dull unless you like shopping and plastic-paddy theme pubs. Zero culture apart from money and consumerism, the beaches are rubbish, anything touristy is rubbish (probably worth having one night at the Peak), theres basically NO wildlife left... I saw all the UK expats over the other side of the island (which looked worse than Majorca but without the nice beaches) and it wasn't inspiring.

It doesn't even have any interesting Asian culture.

If you've been stuck in Sheffield all your life then it might have some appeal, but you couldn't pay me enough to go there. Sure you could probably meet some other expats and have a little slice of the UK but with sun (and smog), but I'd rather freeze in London anyday.
                  Eh? Are you sure it was Hong Kong you went to?

Crowded? There are 23 country parks and hundreds of miles of trails where you can walk for hours without meeting anyone. There are dozens of islands, some barely inhabited.

Beaches? The main beaches on the South are swept continuously and have lifeguards and facilities.

Wildlife? There is copious wildlife including dolphins, bats, butterflies, cats, deer - one third of all the species of birds in China can be found here.

Culture? Did you try the Museum of Art with its 15,000 pieces, the Cultural Museum, Science Museum, Museum of Coastal Defence, History Museum, Heritage Museum, HK Film Archive, Arts Centre, Fringe club, The Zoo and Botanical Gardens, Theatres, festivals, concerts, (Cantonese, Jazz, Opera). Sports galore - tennis, golf, rugby, boating. Restaurants of every conceivable Chinese, Asian and International culture, several with 3 Michelin stars.

Less litter, graffitti, crime and anti-social behaviour than London. Public transport is quicker and more reliable. And plenty of contracts at better rates.

Comment

Working...
                  X