PDA

View Full Version : Just re-read ...

sasguru
12th May 2011, 12:59
... Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia". What a cracking book.

DimPrawn
12th May 2011, 13:01

Aren't you supposed to be leading a team of highly paid permies?

sasguru
12th May 2011, 13:04
Aren't you supposed to be leading a team of highly paid permies?

Try reading a book in your spare time. It will expand your brain cell and you may even enjoy it.

russell
12th May 2011, 13:08
... "101 ways to pretend you're wealthy". What a cracking book.

ftfy

hth

DimPrawn
12th May 2011, 13:09
Try reading a book in your spare time. It will expand your brain cell and you may even enjoy it.

Spare time is for losers.

Old Greg
12th May 2011, 13:14

It is my favourite book of all time.

AtW
12th May 2011, 13:16

Wasn't reading also optional just like spelling in your "Russel" uni?

russell
12th May 2011, 13:21
Homage to Catalonia is political journalist and novelist George Orwell's personal account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish Civil War.

:zzzz: :zzzz: :zzzz:

:winker:

Old Greg
12th May 2011, 13:35
Homage to Catalonia is political journalist and novelist George Orwell's personal account of his experiences and observations in the Spanish Civil War.

It's not Jackie Collins, I know, but still worth a read.

EternalOptimist
12th May 2011, 13:37

it's called culture, scrotum face.

one mans meat is another mans poison. now fck off

:rolleyes:

AtW
12th May 2011, 13:40
"To whom the bell tolls" isn't bad...

EternalOptimist
12th May 2011, 13:41

for

russell
12th May 2011, 13:43
it's called culture, scrotum face.

one mans meat is another mans poison. now fck off

No its called being a pretentious pseudo intellectual knob.

HTH

doodab
12th May 2011, 13:43

So it's probably more interesting than anything you will ever say or think then.

russell
12th May 2011, 13:44
So it's probably more interesting than anything you will ever say or think then.

I could make the same comparison between my arse and you

doodab
12th May 2011, 13:48
I could make the same comparison between my arse and you

Yes well I suppose an anti-intellectual ringpiece such as yourself would find his own winnet encrusted arsehole fascinating. I bet you pick at it for hours.

GreenLabel
12th May 2011, 13:52

for

:laugh

But yeah, a great book.

cailin maith
12th May 2011, 13:54
It's not Jackie Collins, I know, but still worth a read.

Or Jilly Cooper :tongue

russell
12th May 2011, 13:57
Yes well I suppose an anti-intellectual ringpiece such as yourself would find his own winnet encrusted arsehole fascinating. I bet you pick at it for hours.

Because I find a book about the Spanish Civil war to be boring it means I'm not intelligent? Only a pretentious knob would come on here saying they had read it.

I have read Crime and Punishment for e.g. but I don't see the point posting about it.

EternalOptimist
12th May 2011, 14:00
Because I find a book about the Spanish Civil war to be boring it means I'm not intelligent? Only a pretentious knob would come on here saying they had read it.

yeah ? well if we start down that road, pretty soon no one will post anything out of fear of being jumped on.
posts will dry up and the forum will die.
now be a good boy and fck off

russell
12th May 2011, 14:04
yeah ? well if we start down that road, pretty soon no one will post anything out of fear of being jumped on.
posts will dry up and the forum will die.
now be a good boy and fck off

Have you posted general long?

AtW
12th May 2011, 14:08
for

"To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book with a more appropriate ending - the baddies (fascists) died and the main hero married that girl and took her back to Soviet Union where he was from. The bells in this context symbolized happy marriage because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH

Halo Jones
12th May 2011, 14:27
because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH

Out of curiosity is that legally or socially? What would happen in a situation where a couple really did not get on? Could they separate & live in different places just unable to get the legal process done or would society shun them to the point that it was best to stay together & put up with it (& plan murder)

AtW
12th May 2011, 14:30
Could they separate & live in different places

Where would you get a difference place? There was no market for real estate - people waited in the queue 20-30 years to get their flat.

More importantly women there understood the importance of being a good wife :tongue

stek
12th May 2011, 14:31
"To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book with a more appropriate ending - the baddies (fascists) died and the main hero married that girl and took her back to Soviet Union where he was from. The bells in this context symbolized happy marriage because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH

To continue the Soviet (well Russian) theme, Orwell's 1984 was based on Zamtaytin's 'We', in Russian language 'My' (Мы), which sounds more like 'Mwee' when you hear it - the Russian 'ы' vowel being very difficult for non-Russians...

Anyway, it's a cracking book, as is 1984.

My favourite is 'Crime and Punishment', I have it in English and in Russian (Prestupleniye i nakazaniye) but after about six years i'm still on page one of the Russian version. I refer back to the English and end up re-reading the English version. One interesting thing, the book in English is a pieice of Penguin tat, the Russian one is supremely well bound, Owlhoot will have an orgasm, covers in relief, cheaper then the Penguin...

'V nachalye Yulya...', 'In early July..' - I think that's how it starts, it's a very evocative read.

cailin maith
12th May 2011, 14:32
Where would you get a difference place? There was no market for real estate - people waited in the queue 20-30 years to get their flat.

More importantly women there understood the importance of being a good wife :tongue

:eek:

:spank:

Halo Jones
12th May 2011, 14:34

But don’t forget that a good wife needs a good husband to make it work :wink

AtW
12th May 2011, 14:34
:eek:

:spank:

Yes quiet.

Most women also had their own job, though they'd get up to 3 years to raise kids - this means though "no career" to give up bulltulip.

doodab
12th May 2011, 14:37
Because I find a book about the Spanish Civil war to be boring it means I'm not intelligent?

Not at all. What I called you was "anti-intellectual" which doesn't mean the same thing at all.

Only a pretentious knob would come on here saying they had read it. I have read Crime and Punishment for e.g. but I don't see the point posting about it.

And yet you see the point in replying and engaging with as you put it "pretentious knobs" in order to discuss literature, and you express an opinion on the book. Does that not make you a pretentious knob?

doodab
12th May 2011, 14:39
Yes quiet

Rules #1 and #2 of good wifery :tongue

stek
12th May 2011, 14:46

Don't think this is strictly true, what happened was, when you left uni you expressed a preference for where you wanted to go, and flats where allocated according to need, usually you had a choice. Obviously Moscow/Leningrad you had to get waht you were given, but in places like Sverdlovsk, Perm etc, you could have a fair choice.

After the fall of USSR, you were given the flat you occupied, gratis.

EternalOptimist
12th May 2011, 14:48
"To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book
HTH

In that case, I am happy to report that I have just finished 'The Cherry garden' by Checkov
and 'Obstretician Zchivago'

Russian git

stek
12th May 2011, 15:05

HTH

For whom the bell tolls - Po kom zvonit' kolokol,

To whom the bell tolls - Komu zvonit' kolokol...

Second one doesn't make much sense, first one is the correct translation and the one used in Russian. I bloody knew that Russian degree would get used one day...

AtW
12th May 2011, 15:07
Don't think this is strictly true, what happened was, when you left uni you expressed a preference for where you wanted to go, and flats where allocated according to need

What you think? Dude I lived there!

Basically after uni everyone got job - best people (based on grades or they were snitches to KGB whilst at uni) get good jobs, the rest will get tulip jobs. Good jobs would mean you might get your own room in a hostel like studenty dorms (you might need to be PhD with children to get your flat like happened with my parents), if you are tulip you might have to share same room.

My family was in a queue to buy car (Lada) for like 15 years I think - after that inflation destroyed all savings :mad

stek
12th May 2011, 15:09

Basically after uni everyone got job - best people (based on grades or they were snitches to KGB whilst at uni) get good jobs, the rest will get tulip jobs. Good jobs would mean you might get your own room in a hostel like studenty dorms (you might need to be PhD with children to get your flat like happened with my parents), if you are tulip you might have to share same room.

My family was in a queue to buy car (Lada) for like 15 years I think - after that inflation destroyed all savings :mad

My missus lot where all PhD's - must have been the elite! Think one of them got a red diploma is it? From Mgu.....

stek
12th May 2011, 15:12

FIL had a Zaporozhets, fukn awful it was, now he's got a Lada Sputnik, and that's a shed too but at least it starts.

sasguru
12th May 2011, 15:18

Yeah but we all know you're not the sharpest tool in the drawer so we just ignore everything you say.

AtW
12th May 2011, 15:22
My missus lot where all PhD's - must have been the elite! Think one of them got a red diploma is it? From Mgu.....

I had silver medal from school and a red diploma too :smokin

AtW
12th May 2011, 15:25

Naturally.

That's because in Russia it's not enough for a girl to look pretty, cook well, iron, wash etc etc but also be well educated - all this combined makes up good marriage :happy

stek
12th May 2011, 15:26

Babushka was in Leningrad in WW2 - a real horror story that is, during the siege, they were starving, literally. She's a Chemist, retired now obviously. At 55 too! Over 30 years in retirement!

sasguru
12th May 2011, 16:09

Standards must have been low in Russia since you hardly display any logical or analytical capability.

AtW
12th May 2011, 16:14
Standards must have been low in Russia since you hardly display any logical or analytical capability.

stek
12th May 2011, 17:07

Red Diploma is very hard to get, you need 5's in every subject, five 'excellents' - otlichno in Russian - think the phrase is 's otlichiem'.

Russian grading is simple, 1 to 5 basically - 5 the highest. When I go to parents evening now they go on about 'on a 5A+ working towards a 6B but the target is only a 6C- so we're well on track.' What?

Of course, the trouble with Russian Uni is it's crap, you can get prepped by the person who wrote the exam questions......

MrMark
12th May 2011, 17:39

Errr, wasn't he on the losing side? In fact wasn't he on the faction destroyed by the other lefties, so an even bigger loser? A bit like reading Gordon Brown's account of electioneering in 2010...

We need a book by the winner. "Homage to Spain's fascists, and how I helped them to win the war" by F.Franco

stek
12th May 2011, 17:47
Errr, wasn't he on the losing side? In fact wasn't he on the faction destroyed by the other lefties, so an even bigger loser? A bit like reading Gordon Brown's account of electioneering in 2010...

We need a book by the winner. "Homage to Spain's fascists, and how I helped them to win the war" by F.Franco

That would be "Spanish Republicanism, my part in it's downfall" by A. Schicklegruber...

shaunbhoy
12th May 2011, 19:38

Well done. And have you coloured in all the pictures this time too?

:eyes