• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax on Travel Costs Between UK and Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax on Travel Costs Between UK and Switzerland

Hi All

NotAllThere over at English Forum Switzerland has suggested that you guys might be able to relay some personal experiences regarding my current situation.

I live with my family in the UK and am happy with that arrangement for now. I have however been offered a position with a single employer but where I would have to work both in Switzerland and the UK. This will be a long term deal as I would be a permanent employee. This is attractive to me as it gives me a chance to "try before you buy". If I love it then maybe a move to Switzerland could be on the cards in the future.

Nothing has been confirmed yet but it looks like I would expect to spend 2/3 days every week in Switzerland and then 2/3 days every week in the UK. My employer has offered to pay for the flights, hotel and food however I'm wondering what the UK tax man will think of this. P11D benefit to name just one minefield...

I've read the official blurbs (including HMRC's 490 Guide) and trawled the web but am still confused. It seems to suggest that the transport to/from Switzerland is claimable but the hotel/food costs will be a fringe benefit and taxable.

Anybody else in this situation and know how the process really works? Have tried a couple of accountants and received different answers.

Thanks in advance.

Working...
X