PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Edging

pacharan
23rd May 2011, 12:30
Just edged up my shrubbery.

In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

Perfect for bends as well as straight lines.

Old Greg
23rd May 2011, 12:38

In past, usual technique has been tieing a length of string between 2 canes in the ground. Tendency for string to flex from pressure of spade's blade so hard to maintain straight line.

Technique I discovered yeaterday was to use length of hosepipe in place of string. No canes, just lie it out on ground. Can fill hose with sand or similar for added anchorage if required.

How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.

Spacecadet
23rd May 2011, 12:40
I fixed the problem by having exactly 0m of straight edges, now all of my straight edges are 100% perfect 100% of the time

Moose423956
23rd May 2011, 12:41

How do you keep the hoespipe straight? I tried this and it kept winding up again. Ended up with bamboo instead, which worked OK.

I've just lost the will to live. :suicide:

pacharan
23rd May 2011, 12:43

You can fill the pipe with sand I suppose.

I have a bag of lead shot that I use for this purpose. Can be procured from most anglers' suppliers.

Old Greg
23rd May 2011, 12:44
I fixed the problem by having exactly 0m of straight edges, now all of my straight edges are 100% perfect 100% of the time

How do you cope with the dividing by 0 error?

NickFitz
23rd May 2011, 12:44
Flat spline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_spline)

pacharan
23rd May 2011, 12:47
Flat spline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_spline)

Interesting.

xoggoth
23rd May 2011, 13:37
A long hose full of water is good for vertical alignment of things at opposite end of the garden too.

Paddy
23rd May 2011, 13:43

You could use a laser level Black & Decker BDL120-XJ Manual Laser Line Level (http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=laser+level&cp=8&rlz=1W1ADFA_en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp1306158168560012&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10542622169145801915&sa=X&ei=W2TaTfKaPIOt8QOs6K2EBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ&biw=1259&bih=625#)