• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The jump and the notice period.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The jump and the notice period.

Hellow guys and girls,

I am a permie at the minute, I have submitted my CV to a few roles that are contracts as I am keen to move to contracting for a number of reason I won't go into now.

I have a 4 week notice period however. Should this matter? I guess not as everyone has jumped at some point. I have plenty holidays saved so I could take 3 weeks off after giving one week notice.

Originally posted by Scotgal View Post
    Hellow guys and girls,

I am a permie at the minute, I have submitted my CV to a few roles that are contracts as I am keen to move to contracting for a number of reason I won't go into now.

I have a 4 week notice period however. Should this matter? I guess not as everyone has jumped at some point. I have plenty holidays saved so I could take 3 weeks off after giving one week notice.
    Well your employer may well reject the leave request - it just happened to me. Luckily the other people will wait but that would depend on how niche you are.

What do you do?

Comment

You need to read your permie contract carefully. It isn't impossible it will have a clause stopping you working for another company whilst being employed by them. it will almost certainly have a clause about working for competitors, clients or even the same sector as well.

You also might be being optimistic about how quickly you can get a contract. I dunno aabout everyone else but i cut lose first and then spent some bench time first so i could start immediately. I interviewed Weds and started Monday on my first 2 contracts.

Do you have three weeks accrued so early in the year as you will only get holidays pro rata?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You need to read your permie contract carefully. It isn't impossible it will have a clause stopping you working for another company whilst being employed by them. it will almost certainly have a clause about working for competitors, clients or even the same sector as well.

You also might be being optimistic about how quickly you can get a contract. I dunno aabout everyone else but i cut lose first and then spent some bench time first so i could start immediately. I interviewed Weds and started Monday on my first 2 contracts.

Do you have three weeks accrued so early in the year as you will only get holidays pro rata?
        Thanks for the answers guys, very much appreciated. Regarding the annual leave, I had some carried over from last year. I could probably just hand in my notice and then look once im finished like you nothernladuk, I don't have a lot of responsibilities, no family, single guy living in my rented flat. Well I suppose luck favours the brave.

Comment

Thanks to the tit that neg repped me signing it MF. MF repped me not an hour prior so cannot have been him. Neg repping for no reason and false signing is cheap.

Comment

Thanks to the tit that neg repped me signing it MF. MF repped me not an hour prior so cannot have been him. Neg repping for no reason and false signing is cheap.
            Not sure what this means, is this referring to me?

Comment

Not sure what this means, is this referring to me?
              No it doesn't, don't worry about it.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys, very much appreciated. Regarding the annual leave, I had some carried over from last year. I could probably just hand in my notice and then look once im finished like you nothernladuk, I don't have a lot of responsibilities, no family, single guy living in my rented flat. Well I suppose luck favours the brave.
                Everything depends.

I worked a short notice period then had about 3 weeks before I secured a contract.

There as I've met others who have been made redundant, others who managed to secure a role then give in their notice, others who managed to cut their notice period down by sweet talking their boss, others who just walked out of their job......

As long as you have sufficient savings to last you a few months then you can just hand your notice in.

In the meantime to find out more (and to avoid annoying people on this board) have a good read of the first timers section (CUK Navigation panel on the right hand side) and a good read of the PCG guide to contracting.

Also when you think of a question come back here and use the search facility to find the answer as the question has probably been answered before. If the answer makes no sense then link to the previous thread and ask a question. We don't bite but are quite abrupt in our answers.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Everything depends.

I worked a short notice period then had about 3 weeks before I secured a contract.

There as I've met others who have been made redundant, others who managed to secure a role then give in their notice, others who managed to cut their notice period down by sweet talking their boss, others who just walked out of their job......

As long as you have sufficient savings to last you a few months then you can just hand your notice in.

In the meantime to find out more (and to avoid annoying people on this board) have a good read of the first timers section (CUK Navigation panel on the right hand side) and a good read of the PCG guide to contracting.

Also when you think of a question come back here and use the search facility to find the answer as the question has probably been answered before. If the answer makes no sense then link to the previous thread and ask a question. We don't bite but are quite abrupt in our answers.
                  Bit uncalled for, I have read the PCG stuff and searched for this question. I find the search facility limiting and not very user friendly.

Comment

Bit uncalled for, I have read the PCG stuff and searched for this question. I find the search facility limiting and not very user friendly.
                    If you are going to be a contractor you have to get a hard skin.

Have a read of the http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...eferences.html to see some of the tulip you will have to put up with.

BTW just tell agencies your permie manager doesn't give personal references out on the phone, and they have to talk to HR. You may as well not annoy him/her by giving their name out to be hassled.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X