• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon Kindle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Kindle

My Amazon Kindle is now full, with around 2500 books. What I have noticed now is the following:

1) Performance has degraded to an annoying degree. Scrolling through the list of books to the one I want can take an inordinate amount of time.

2) The search functionality doesn't seem to work too well with sometimes strange and inaccurate results.

3) The collections functionality is far too onerous to manually organise that volume of books into neat categories

So, to my question:

Does anyone know a way in which I can organise and arrange the books on the device into groups/collections to make things easier to find. Surely there must be a drag and drop type method as opposed to manually creating and moving each single book into a collection one at a time?

Anyone?

This is why ebook readers will never replace real books.

With real books you had the dewey decimal system, alphabetisation and the ability to make piles several feet high.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I don't know much about these things, but Mrs MM is thinking about one. How do you organise stuff, is there a pc interface?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

With real books you had the dewey decimal system, alphabetisation and the ability to make piles several feet high.
        2500 books would be quite a pile. Perhaps I'd need my own librarian.

Actually....

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I don't know much about these things, but Mrs MM is thinking about one. How do you organise stuff, is there a pc interface?
          That's the crux of my question. I know how to do it manually on the device itself but don't know a way of organising all the material en masse.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            That's the crux of my question. I know how to do it manually on the device itself but don't know a way of organising all the material en masse.
            How do you get books on it?
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              2500 books would be quite a pile. Perhaps I'd need my own librarian.
              See, real books come with better accessories too
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

There's a freeby PC application called Calibre that allows various functions, I've not checked if it can manage your collections, but it's possible. Handy app for managing files, converting formats etc.

I'm very happy with my Kindle as I'd totally run out of bookshelf space and when travelling I can carry loads of books in a really compact format that's comfortable to read. That being said I've only got a couple of hundred books on there and I added them to the collections as I put them on the Kindle, doing collections retroactively with 2,500 books would be a bit of a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  How do you get books on it?
                  You pay for them via Amazon or similar supplier of course. If you're sourcing from Amazon, this involves a pretty quick download via the in-built wifi that is free globally.

If you sourced the books by other means..cough... it's a matter of just placing them in a particular directory on the device when it's hooked up by usb.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Never? A PC can already do this instantly with a million books, it's inevitable that power will end up on cheap hand-help devices.

I never considered I'd ever fill my Kindle. Interesting to hear it has an effect. I can certainly see how the interface would suck, even with a dozen books it is noticeably a poor setup.

Can you delete your local copies without losing the capability to re-download? That would be my move.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X