• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple expenses question (from a newbie!)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple expenses question (from a newbie!)

Hi guys. I've just started contracting under an umbrella co. It's going well and my first contract is about end so I am going to interviews. My brolly co says I can claim expenses on rail fare and subsistence for my interviews.

Can anyone verify this? Also how much will I get back? I assume just the tax amount on the rail fare and subsistence, not the full amount?!

Sorry for the daft questions! Thanks everyone.

Jonny

You need to keep proper receipts or a proper mileage log.

The full amount would be allowable against tax i.e. the amount would be deducted from your income and then you would be taxed on the rest. Though with mileage there are statutory amounts you can claim depending on your vehicle.

To be honest it's more tax efficient if you are earning over something like £35,000 to be a limited company. (It's more work but not that hard.) Plus you would find that while the umbrella won't let you claim certain expenses your accountant will.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyguitar View Post
      Hi guys. I've just started contracting under an umbrella co. It's going well and my first contract is about end so I am going to interviews. My brolly co says I can claim expenses on rail fare and subsistence for my interviews.

Can anyone verify this? Also how much will I get back? I assume just the tax amount on the rail fare and subsistence, not the full amount?!

Sorry for the daft questions! Thanks everyone.

Jonny
      For valid expenses you will get the full amount back. But you must realise that money doesn't magically appear from nowhere. The full amount you get back will be deducted from the gross amount that the umbrella receives from work you do for the eventual client. So there will be less left to pay you as salary. The bottom line is that what you claim as expenses allows you to extract the money you've earnt without paying income tax or NI on it. Anything left is paid to you as PAYE after the deduction of income tax and NI. So the net saving to you is the tax and NI.

The expenses should be valid expenses that you have actually paid out and please keep receipts so you can prove (if you ever need to) that the expense was actually incurred.

Comment

You will not get the full amount back unless the expense is being reimbursed by your agency or client; otherwise the expense will be processed as a tax benefit i.e. the expense reduces your tax liability. Either way you will need to be sure that the expense is allowable and that you can back up the claim with receipts.

HTH
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
        X