• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tesco cheap beer story - I don't get it!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco cheap beer story - I don't get it!

BBC story: BBC News - Tesco mistake leads to beer rush

An error which slashed the price of beer and cider led to a stampede of customers at a number of Tesco supermarkets in Scotland.

A deal offering three boxes of various alcoholic drinks for £20 was going through the tills at three for £11.

Police were called to Tesco in Greenock after heavy congestion was reported in the car park as customers rushed to get the deal.

A spokesman for Tesco said the pricing error was quickly spotted.
    If the pricing error was "quickly spotted" then how was there time for heavy congestion to build up, for queues of people to go and buy beer, and for the bloke in the picture there to have been on his third beer run?

It must have been obvious after about two minutes that there were three old dears buying cat food and a queue of 200 middle-aged men all carrying three crates of Stella each.

And has anyone here been that desperate for beer that they'd rush down to any supermarket that had a bit of a deal going on? Weird.

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    BBC story: BBC News - Tesco mistake leads to beer rush

If the pricing error was "quickly spotted" then how was there time for heavy congestion to build up, for queues of people to go and buy beer and for the bloke in the picture there to have been on his third beer run?

It must have been obvious after about two minutes that there were three old dears buying cat food and a queue of 200 middle-aged men all carrying three crates of Stella each.

And has anyone here been that desperate for beer that they'd rush down to any supermarket that had a bit of a deal going on? Weird.
    You're forgetting just how fast a Scot can move when cheap alcohol is involved.

Comment

I always thought the hard drinking Scott was a comedic stereotype: seems I was wrong
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        You're forgetting just how fast a Scot can move when cheap alcohol is involved.
        Fast enough to risk his disability benefits?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I think it's a bit sad that people are that desperate to save £10 that they will drink chemical infested piss.

But then I can get 10 litres of decent beer for about €15 so I'm probably spoiled.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Fast enough to risk his disability benefits?
            Tough decision
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Mix Scotland, Cheap beer, Benefits and you have a dangerous cocktail there.

Hic!
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Scots have two traits, they are tight with money and love to drink alcohol. Mix the two and you have a riot on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Scots have two traits, they are tight with money and love to drink alcohol. Mix the two and you have a riot on your hands.
                  To be fair, having lived in Alba for 10 years, the first one isn't true, it's far worse here in Leeds! And Leeds also has a much higher ginger count.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    To be fair, having lived in Alba for 10 years, the first one isn't true, it's far worse here in Leeds! And Leeds also has a much higher ginger count.
                    Well, Yorkshire's pretty much Scotland anyway. I've heard that there are actually English counties even further North than Yorkshire, but I suspect that they are mere legend.

Comment

Working...
                    X