• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EBay buying strategy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EBay buying strategy

So I'm interested in an item (high shine leather chaps before anyone asks) that has 8 days to run on the auction, it gets to 4 days with no bids and then someone goes in for the minimum bid, fair enough, might get a steal but then someone gets straight in with a couple of pounds over what the first bidder offered.

Manipulation or stupidity?

When you enter a maximum bid ebay bids automatically on ones behalf, so although the first bid might have appeared as minimum bid it was probably slightly higher. The second one could be much higher but would only appear as the minimum required to beat the first one.

Disregarding this, why are you looking at high shine leather chaps?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Use Goofbay and snipe it.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        You can borrow my slightly soiled chaps.
        ftfy.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Disregarding this, why are you looking at high shine leather chaps?
          I'm the front man in a scissor sisters tribute band.

(it is actually a sound card)

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            So I'm interested in an item (high shine leather chaps before anyone asks) that has 8 days to run on the auction, it gets to 4 days with no bids and then someone goes in for the minimum bid, fair enough, might get a steal but then someone gets straight in with a couple of pounds over what the first bidder offered.

Are you saying the first, low bidding guy is the stupid one?

In general yes, unless he absolutely did not want to pay more than that. Although, maybe they are relatively new to ebay and don't realise how the whole auto-bidding up to your max works.

Surprised atw hasn't posted yet after his last ebay rant.

Comment

Had a similar scenario a few months ago for an item I was watching.

It was an item which I didn't expect any counter bids for but lo and behold 24 hours before the end of the auction a couple of bids come in for it.

I wouldn't have thought too much of it but the bids came in at an un-godly hour on a Friday night!

A bit of further investigation highlighted the fact the seller was engaged in shill bidding.

Now, if I really want something, I'll not use eBay to watch it and will schedule an Outlook reminder instead.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Surprised atw hasn't posted yet after his last ebay rant.
                I think he is saving his 25,000th post for something truly special.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  When you enter a maximum bid ebay bids automatically on ones behalf, so although the first bid might have appeared as minimum bid it was probably slightly higher. The second one could be much higher but would only appear as the minimum required to beat the first one.
                  I am usually one to go with a one minute to go bid, set myself on a price and let it go if that is not met, just find it strange people bidding 4 days before closing with pound upmanship.

Comment

I'm the front man in a scissor sisters tribute band.

(it is actually a sound card)
                    Might stick around to see how this goes.

You wearing make up as well?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X