• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health Issues - Neck / Back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Issues - Neck / Back

<Serious Mode>

I'm getting a little concerned as I continue to work with computers. Over the last 3/4 years I've suffered more and more from a bad neck / shoulder caused by sitting at a computer.

To be fair, like a lot of us, I've been sat at a computer for 20 years ever since I got my first ZX Spectrum, hunched over the keyboard copying code from a magazine.

But my back is cracking, my neck hurts constantly. Initially it was laptops, then for the last few years I insist on a proper set up/HSE/screen/chair etc so I have the correct setup.

I've had physio, chiropracter, osteopath, acupuncture, massage, sauna. I've tried exercising, not exercising, stretching, weight lifting again, bit of cage fighting

Today at what point I was so low down in my chair due to pain I was practically slumped on the floor. I've been in pain constantly since Wednesday. At four I had to leave, my head was down, bent over like some hunchback, took an hour in a steaming hot bath to free the muscles up.

It's better when I don't work with computers, but that doesn't bode well.

Has anyone had this type of problem and then got it sorted, or am I destined to land up like Quasimodo?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    <Serious Mode>

I'm getting a little concerned as I continue to work with computers. Over the last 3/4 years I've suffered more and more from a bad neck / shoulder caused by sitting at a computer.

To be fair, like a lot of us, I've been sat at a computer for 20 years ever since I got my first ZX Spectrum, hunched over the keyboard copying code from a magazine.

But my back is cracking, my neck hurts constantly. Initially it was laptops, then for the last few years I insist on a proper set up/HSE/screen/chair etc so I have the correct setup.

I've had physio, chiropracter, osteopath, acupuncture, massage, sauna. I've tried exercising, not exercising, stretching, weight lifting again, bit of cage fighting

Today at what point I was so low down in my chair due to pain I was practically slumped on the floor. I've been in pain constantly since Wednesday. At four I had to leave, my head was down, bent over like some hunchback, took an hour in a steaming hot bath to free the muscles up.

It's better when I don't work with computers, but that doesn't bode well.

Has anyone had this type of problem and then got it sorted, or am I destined to land up like Quasimodo?
    See your GP and get a referral.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      See your GP and get a referral.
      I've seen my GP a few times over the years. Had xRays where I was told I have osteoporosis in my neck and there was 'nothing that could be done'. (they gave me pain-killers). I have additional damage due to weight lifting when I was younger and have been referred for all of the chiro/osteo etc, all without much help. I'm just surprised nothing has worked so far and wondered if anyone had any experience.

It was really bad today.

Comment

I've seen my GP a few times over the years. Had xRays where I was told I have osteoporosis in my neck and there was 'nothing that could be done'. (they gave me pain-killers). I have additional damage due to weight lifting when I was younger and have been referred for all of the chiro/osteo etc, all without much help. I'm just surprised nothing has worked so far and wondered if anyone had any experience.

It was really bad today.
        Have you had a referral to a Rheumatologist?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Have you had a referral to a Rheumatologist?
          No.

Cheers. I'll have a look.

Comment

No.

Cheers. I'll have a look.
            I think so. I wouldn't accept a diagnosis from a GP, or treatment prescribed if it isn't working. Have a look at (aimed mostly at GPs, only viewable in England and Wales): Welcome to Map of Medicine for NHS Evidence

Comment

Have had ongoing lower back / hip issues. Chiro helped a bit, but saw a private physio who sorted me out. Might be worth a go.

Comment

Well in all honesty, you simply cannot go round, over such a prolonged period, carrying that much extra timber without something starting to give.
                That is why I keep myself a fighting 12st 2 and exercise 4-5 times a week.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've been sat at a computer for 20 years ever since I got my first ZX Spectrum
                  You didn't get your first ZX Spectrum until 1991? What are you using these days? An Atari ST 520FM?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Well in all honesty, you simply cannot go round, over such a prolonged period, carrying that much extra timber without something starting to give.
                    That is why I keep myself a fighting 12st 2 and exercise 4-5 times a week.

HTH

WHS.

You are overweight and unfit. Spent less time posting bollox here and more time playing sport/gym/swimming.

HTH BIDI

PS. I'm 11st and fit as a fiddle. Healthy,wealthy and wise.

Comment

Working...
                    X