• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

newbie questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie questions

hi, to all of you. i am a guy 22 years old ,just finished my post graduation in msc computer networks, london. i also have CCNA. My troubles as u can understand is how to get my first foot into this world where only experience rules.

Every organisation ask for experience. i has experience when i did training for 6 mnths in installing and configuring cisco equipments but not in a large scale. i also have knowledge of windows 98, me, XP, NT.

You guys are there with the experience and you all had gone through the same.

Can anyone help/suggestions/abuse/etc

thanks

Originally posted by pank0906
    Can anyone abuse

thanks
    I really hope you got someone to edit your dissertations for english.

Aside from that, get a permie job first. They'll train you up properly, as in give you real world problems to fix. After a couple of years of that contracting is then a viable option.

Untill you've worked on a large scale system you really can not appreciate the full horror of integrating IT solutions into a running business. Maybe its something that contractors are partially shielded from but IT systems in the computer utopia of a training environment are a world apart from IT systems in a revenue focused company.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Agreed...

I used to work for part of Oxford University and every now and then we'd have a computer science grad join us ... first thing we had to do was to get them to forget most of what they had learnt from their tutors and start learning in real world situations where budgets / politics / poor organisation meant text book solutions simply werent going to happen.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

If you're interested in working for an ISP then I might be able to put you in touch with the top technical guys (ie the ones who do the hiring) at a couple of northwest based ISPs.

PM me if you are.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

If you don't have any luck in commerce, consider looking for a support job in a school. The pay for supporting sometime quite large networks and a bunch of idiot teachers is pitiful, but on the other hand the jobs are not that hard to get for that very reason and the experience is good. Bloke I know went from a 17k school technician job to a nearly 40k city support job.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

newbie questions

first of all thnaks to you all for taking your time writing your views which definetly are important.

I understand wht is been said, real world problems are different from what is taught in classes and lectures.

I have no problem working for any ISP, please send me that information regarding working for an ISP or if any agencies are involved in hiring people like me.. i don't mind even if the pay is little or lot less.

your worthfull reply is higly appreciated and my english dissertations is always been edited by myself and before submission atleast 5 times.

thanks once again.

Comment

newbie questions

Originally posted by Spacecadet
              If you're interested in working for an ISP then I might be able to put you in touch with the top technical guys (ie the ones who do the hiring) at a couple of northwest based ISPs.

PM me if you are.

yes definetly i am. I feel like, i am in a place where someone has said #beggers are not choosers#.

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by pank0906

your worthfull reply is higly appreciated and my english dissertations is always been edited by myself and before submission atleast 5 times.

thanks once again.
                Just a quick bit of advice, don't try and use big words like "highly appreciated" when you can just say "thanks". It's something that most of the contractors that I work with who have just come over from india do (I'm guessing you have just come over from India yourself from what I have read). Very intelligent guys who can speak english well and are good at thier job, however when they write stuff down they use lots of large words and strange grammer in an attempt to look intelligent on paper and it becomes unreadable trash that is worthless.

Try writing it like you would speak it, a set of clear instructions written down on a bit of paper is worth a huge amount more than a load of long winded long worded tripe that doesn't actually mean anything

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                  I work with who have just come over from india do (I'm guessing you have just come over from India yourself from what I have read). Very intelligent guys who can speak english well and are good at thier job, however when they write stuff down they use lots of large words and strange grammer in an attempt to look intelligent on paper and it becomes unreadable trash that is worthless.

Try writing it like you would speak it, a set of clear instructions written down on a bit of paper is worth a huge amount more than a load of long winded long worded tripe that doesn't actually mean anything

Excellent mate, i got your advice and that's true that i m from india. i m shocked to see that how easily you got it right.

i got your point mate and will have made a note in my mind.

thanks for that.

Comment

Oh, and go easy on the 'mate' bit. Sound like you're trying too hard...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X