• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squatting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squatting

I have never understood this thing where you can just move into a house and live there with the onus on the owner to legally evict them which might take months.

What are the rules on this? If you can get into the house you can stay there as long as you did not break in by force?

Thought this was another thread about bowel movements. Greatly disappointed.

<threadflounce >
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I have never understood this thing where you can just move into a house and live there with the onus on the owner to legally evict them which might take months.

What are the rules on this? If you can get into the house you can stay there as long as you did not break in by force?
      The law is an ass. That's why you get a couple of heavies to go around and threaten the squatters with cutting off their balls and popping them in their mouths if they don't leave in the next 5 minutes.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Think so yeah, then you'll generally get another 6 months there when the owner tries to evict you and is jailed for harrassment.

Comment

Me neither, but there must be a reason why it is like that... something sensible which has been exaggerated/twisted.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Me neither, but there must be a reason why it is like that... something sensible which has been exaggerated/twisted.
            What logical reason can you give to allow someone to hold court over your property? You invade property here and you get arrested, no ambiguity, the police will turn up and turf you out, with force.

Comment

Read somewhere that they are supposed to be addressing this issue. About time if so.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Can't rush these things.

Been like it for centuries.

And if you manage to squat for 12 years, then the property is yours.
                Really? I saw a nice gaff in Wandsworth the other day, had a lovely shed in the garden. I might give that a go.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

What logical reason can you give to allow someone to hold court over your property? You invade property here and you get arrested, no ambiguity, the police will turn up and turf you out, with force.
                  Like I said in the previous post, it presumably started out with some other, well-meaning intention, and this has been distorted incrementally over time. Or something. But what was that original motivation?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The original Diggers were, for the most part, landless peasants who had fought in Cromwell's army against the king. Calling themselves "True Levellers" (as distinct from John Lilburne's less radical Levellers) because of their rejection of the notion of private property, they came to plough and sow the earth in common, claiming the untended land they believed to be rightfully theirs. "Was the Earth made to preserve a few covetous, proud men to live at ease, and for them to bag and barn up the treasures of the Earth from others, that these may beg or starve in a fruitful land, or was it made to preserve all her children?"
                    Untitled Document
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X