• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Escape from Stalag Dublin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escape from Stalag Dublin

THis has to be the funniest War Story I have ever came across - well worth a wee read about the escapades of POWS interred in Dublin !

In 13 December 1941 he walked straight out of camp and after a meal in a hotel, which he did not pay for, he headed into nearby Dublin and caught the train the next day to Belfast. Within hours he was back at RAF Eglinton where he had taken off two weeks earlier in his defective Spitfire.

He could not have expected what was to happen next. The British government decided that, in this dark hour, it would be unwise to upset a neutral nation.

The decision was made to send Wolfe back to The Curragh and internment. Back in the camp, Wolfe made the best of it, joining the fox-hunting with relish.

Full story here BBC News - Spitfire down: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    The decision was made to send Wolfe back to The Curragh and internment.
    - Dash it all, here comes that idiot Wolfe! I thought we'd got shot of the damned fool. Is there anything we can do old boy?

- Well, we could say that Top Brass have insisted he's sent back Paddy-side for the duration! He's bound to buy it.

- Oh, I say, top hole! Let's do it, what!

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      - Dash it all, here comes that idiot Wolfe! I thought we'd got shot of the damned fool. Is there anything we can do old boy?

- Well, we could say that Top Brass have insisted he's sent back Paddy-side for the duration! He's bound to buy it.

- Oh, I say, top hole! Let's do it, what!
      Great Stuff Old Bean !
      PS for anyone - who has not yete read the link.story - its a wee gem !

PPS I hope they made him cough up for that meal he took at the Hotel - its just not cricket !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13924720
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 June 2011, 19:04.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        Great Stuff Old Bean !
        PS for anyone - who has not yete read the link.story - its a wee gem !

BBC News - Spitfire down: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed

a wee gem indeed.

You can always tell an American RAF POW escapee, because they have a meal then make a dash for the border without paying

A British gentleman, will always pay for the meal, then make a dash without eating it

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I read the book about this guy;

Franz von Werra

German POW. Was minutes away from flying a secretly modified Spitfire from an airfield posing as a Dutch pilot after escaping from a British POW camp. His story was made into a movie.

Link
          Me, me, me...

Comment

In a similar vein, I just got hold of a copy of "Picking up the Brass" by Eddy Nugent.
            Anyone else read this?
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              In a similar vein, I just got hold of a copy of "Picking up the Brass" by Eddy Nugent.
              Anyone else read this?
              nope

but I read a book in my youth by a spitfire pow called PAPE

and I cant recall the title, nor find a link.

but that was one excellent story

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

You can always tell an American RAF POW escapee, because they have a meal then make a dash for the border without paying

A British gentleman, will always pay for the meal, then make a dash without eating it

Spot on EO - that explains it ! Now if this story was turned into a movie - hold on what about that old Ripping Yarns episode- remember the one where in a Gerry POW camp- the would be escapee is grassed to the Gerry Guards because he didnt submit his escape plan to the chaps in the Escape Committee ?
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 June 2011, 19:30.

Comment

[QUOTE=AlfredJPruffock;1352961 the would be escapee is grassed to the Gerry Guards because he didnt submit his escape plan to chaps in the Escape Committee ?[/QUOTE]

damn that escape-committee beaurocracy
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    nope
                    Well it sounds like you should EO.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Picking-Up-B.../dp/1904181929

Check out the review on this page..........
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X