• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software to help manage expenses, invoicing etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software to help manage expenses, invoicing etc

Does anybody have a good all round software which helps you manage your business transactions and keeps your book keeping in shape? I am starting to get lazy with my current manual ways....

You mean Sage or any other accounting software package.

Comment

expensemagic

take a photo of your receipt and it collates it for you
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        You mean Sage or any other accounting software package.
        I keep hearing of sage. I am just looking for a simple desktop application which saves time and headache and lets me invoice, claim expenses easily etc. Back in the day there was Quicken, I want something of that style but with loads of nice extras and more modern. Basically somewhere I can house all my financial information easily and hassle-free.

Comment

Options

If you want an easy desktop solution Quickbooks is by all accounts quite good (though I don't have any experience in using it, a few of my friends do). A lot of software suppliers are heading for the cloud these days - the likes of Xero, Freeagent, Kashflow.

I have tried Sage before and personally don't like the software - but it all falls down to preference.

Software Satisfaction Awards 2011 are a good source of info. Look at the 2011 Shortlist, and also check out the 2010 winners - its a good unbiased source of information.
          2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
          2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
          || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by GregCapitalCity View Post
            If you want an easy desktop solution Quickbooks is by all accounts quite good (though I don't have any experience in using it, a few of my friends do). A lot of software suppliers are heading for the cloud these days - the likes of Xero, Freeagent, Kashflow.

I have tried Sage before and personally don't like the software - but it all falls down to preference.

Software Satisfaction Awards 2011 are a good source of info. Look at the 2011 Shortlist, and also check out the 2010 winners - its a good unbiased source of information.
            That is the kind of think I was look for - though it is a bit pricey. Thanks

It does say Flat rate not supported though.....

Comment

SJD do a rather good spreadsheet with everything well laid out and simple. Kinda wonder why I pay them when I do all the work but it does work so happy with the situation. I believe you can register on their site for free and possibly download it but it is heavily protected so do need them to make alterations from time to time for which you would need to be a customer.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I thought zedAccounts looked pretty good when I played with it, although it does make you do proper double entry bookkeeping.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Freeagent

I have just started my first Ltd company and have found freeagent to be really easy to use. I get it through Barclays and it's £15 inc VAT per month. You can do invoices, vat return etc even upload ur bank statement direct into it.

Comment

I've used Xero for ~18 months and love it.

It does everything, even a basic payroll. However, it's £19/month. It's probably aimed a bit more at trading Ltd co's than contractor companies as a lot of its features are timesaving things for bookkeeping types.

Bank recs for example are particularly pleasant. I just download a list of transactions from HSBC and import them; you just 'tick off' the matching invoices, payments etc in Xero. Takes a few minutes.

Once nice new feature is that you can attach PDFs, images etc to invoices, expenses, etc. Makes end of year that bit easier, as you can give your accountant a login and let them get on with it.

Give the free trial a go and see if you like it.

Comment

Working...
                    X