• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts Between Contractor and Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts Between Contractor and Client

Hello all,

I've just started out in the IT contracting game (been in perm positions for around 10 years). Does anyone know of a good place to get templated legal contracts? Just started out on a recurring 3 month contract doing some .net and sql work but I'm not sure where to start on the contractuals. Any help is grealty appreciated!

TTFN
    Ben

BTW. Employment is through my own ltd company, not through an agency.

Originally posted by BenRimmer View Post
    Hello all,

I've just started out in the IT contracting game (been in perm positions for around 10 years). Does anyone know of a good place to get templated legal contracts? Just started out on a recurring 3 month contract doing some .net and sql work but I'm not sure where to start on the contractuals. Any help is grealty appreciated!
    Welcome

You should consider joining the PCG, they have lots of good stuff including contract templates and they will get you sorted with insurance and legal advice etc if you need it too. Worth a look.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRimmer View Post
      Hello all,

TTFN
      Ben

BTW. Employment is through my own ltd company, not through an agency.
      You have started work and you have no contract? Bit late for that now. How did you get a role without a contract? Have you gone contract from a perm role or something?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You have started work and you have no contract? Bit late for that now. How did you get a role without a contract? Have you gone contract from a perm role or something?
        There is a contract - it's called a gentlemen's agreement. This is entirely legal in England.

Unfortunately BenRimmer (I hope that isn't your real name) will find he will probably get shafted due to not having a contract with terms and conditions that have been written down, and reviewed by an expert.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          he will probably get shafted due to not having a contract with terms and conditions that have been written down, and reviewed by an expert.
          Ahh verbal contracts aren't the greatest way to do business but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will bite you on the bum. Keep the relationship with the client friendly but remember that the sooner a proper contract is drafted and agreed the better.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Probably pay for it

While there are contract templates you can get from the internet (do a Google search for 'consultants agreement template uk'), I think you probably want to at least pay for the right advice up front the first time - then you can just use that contract when rolling forward. Possible sources are;
            (1) Ask your client to see if they have one you can review - you may want to pay for an IR35 review first up anyway from the likes of Bauer and Cottrell so you get off on the right foot;
            (2) Contract lawyer (UK) Roger Sinclair Egos Ltd gets mentioned a bit here - he could help you out;
            (3) PCG is another good place;

Good luck.
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Go to Qdos for your contract check and IR35 insurane
              at the moment they are the best on the market for this type of thing
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 22 July 2011, 13:12.

Comment

Working...
              X