• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone on here ever had to claim......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone on here ever had to claim......

on their professional indemnity or employer's liability insurance that most agents insist on?
    Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Hmmm 65 views and no response. Is that good or bad
    Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

No.

Noone has ever checked that i have it or asked to see a certificate of insurance either.
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

I think the answer is likely to be "no" for almost every contractor out there. You'd need to balls up to a very significant financial loss for a client to want to get into a handbag fight with an insurance company that will look to evade responsibility on the most trivial of grounds. Even then, unless you're doing every single bit of the work on a job or have almost a malicious level of incompetence then they'll realise that they've little chance of getting anything from a claim.

Edit: you just need to look at the level of cover you can get for the premium to realise the risk to insurers of having to pay out. You can get 7 figure insurance for a few hundred pounds. Insurers aren't going to give out insurance that cheaply if there is any risk at all they'll have to pay.

Comment

Nope .......

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
            I think the answer is likely to be "no" for almost every contractor out there. You'd need to balls up to a very significant financial loss for a client to want to get into a handbag fight with an insurance company that will look to evade responsibility on the most trivial of grounds.
            This .....

Comment

Nope, but every agent in the past 7 years has asked for the insurance certificate as proof before commencing though. I move my cover up and down based on the requirements of the current contract.

Comment

As I thought - mine is up for renewal. Agent asked to see certificate at the onset of the contract but how would they know if I didn't bother for the remainder. Could then wait until the next gig came along and I was asked for it again before renewing.

Comment

Although probably a low risk, I’ve had contracts (possibly all but would need to check) where it stated that adequate insurance was to be maintained for the duration of the contract period. They’re unlikely to check but Murphy’s Law and all that. At the end of the day it’s tax deductible and less than a day’s income for many so why skimp on it?

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                    You can get 7 figure insurance for a few hundred pounds. Insurers aren't going to give out insurance that cheaply if there is any risk at all they'll have to pay.
                    WHS. Where else can I get an insurer to underwrite millions of pounds of liability for a few hundred quid?
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X