• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Junk Mail since starting ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk Mail since starting ltd

I seem to be receiving a lot of junk mail at the moment ever since I setup new company, I rang up the company that did the formation and I was furious but they said to me that they do not pass on customer details, I have now tried to move on and sort out the mess rather than looking for a scapegoat. Is there a way to stop this ?

This is one of the reasons that we suggest clients use our address for their registered office and service address', as the junk mail then comes to us.

Your limited company address is freely available to anyone who wants to check Companies House, so the only way to stop the junk is to change the registered address. Most accountants will offer this free of charge.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Question is what do you call junk? Is it related to a business start up/accountancy and all that and so has some relevancy or is it the normal bank/ebay/paypal fishing and outright spam?

If they are legitimate businesses contacting you you could contact them back and ask them how they got your details. They should have to tell you and see if you can nail your accountant.

Your email should be available to people applying to company house I believe and also if you have a web site and didn't opt out of displaying your details and so on. There are many ways it gets out there.

Can you stop it? Hell no. You should know that by now surely?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

what I seem to be getting is advertisement for services such as websites, accountants etc. I prefer not to be sent stuff like this, its just extra hassle for me.

On the other end of the scale, I do get important letters from Inland revenue/company house etc. These letters are mainly ones that I want to look into ASAP, if I use another registered address, how will I be getting faster access to such letters ?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If they are legitimate businesses contacting you you could contact them back and ask them how they got your details. They should have to tell you and see if you can nail your accountant.
          There are various companies that produce a mailing list of new limited companies and then sell it to interested companies. Its hardly difficult as company house produce a daily list of newly created companies and you can then access the system to pull whatever additional details are required.

Also Mail Preferences and the other similar schemes don't apply to business 2 business marketing so you won't get far there.

You choices are to shift you registered address or live with it. Even if you do the former chances are you'll get mail for another year or so.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
            what I seem to be getting is advertisement for services such as websites, accountants etc. I prefer not to be sent stuff like this, its just extra hassle for me.

On the other end of the scale, I do get important letters from Inland revenue/company house etc. These letters are mainly ones that I want to look into ASAP, if I use another registered address, how will I be getting faster access to such letters ?
            You'll always get the post from HMRC as they send to your trading address, which is usually your home address regardless of where your registered office is.

Companies House will send to the registered office address, but it's generally standard reminders that your accountant would make you aware of in advance anyway. You can keep an eye on your company status via the Webcheck facility at Companies House too, and that will tell you of any upcoming deadlines.

The rest, websites and accountants etc, are simply sending mail to the registered office address on the off chance of getting some business.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              You'll always get the post from HMRC as they send to your trading address, which is usually your home address regardless of where your registered office is.

Companies House will send to the registered office address, but it's generally standard reminders that your accountant would make you aware of in advance anyway. You can keep an eye on your company status via the Webcheck facility at Companies House too, and that will tell you of any upcoming deadlines.

The rest, websites and accountants etc, are simply sending mail to the registered office address on the off chance of getting some business.
              I think its begining to make a lot of sense now, so I can have 2 sets of addresses.

Trading address: This can be my home.
              Registered office address: This can be anywhere.

There is a form that HMRC sent me to register for corporation tax etc, and it has details there which allows you change address. I will take it to accountant for it to be actioned.
              Am I on the right track here ?

Comment

I find junk mail does tend to fall off eventually if never unresponded to.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
                  I think its begining to make a lot of sense now, so I can have 2 sets of addresses.

Trading address: This can be my home.
                  Registered office address: This can be anywhere.

There is a form that HMRC sent me to register for corporation tax etc, and it has details there which allows you change address. I will take it to accountant for it to be actioned.
                  Am I on the right track here ?
                  Not quite - what you need to do is change the address at Companies House as that's the one publicly available. The HMRC address can stay at your home address, it's not that one that's giving rise to the junk mail.

Your accountant should be able to file the necessary form online for you, and ask them to change your service address too. The service address is the address shown against your name as director, and it's fine for this to be your accountant's too.

Comment

I get a fair bit too... not loads but enough to be a bit frustrated and wonder who else has my details.

Fact of life I suppose. Just tut, recycle and get on with your day.
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X