• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surprisingly annoyed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprisingly annoyed

Me and the permie opposite me have to share a desk phone.

So quite often she'll pick up a call for me, and vice versa.

Common courtesy has always told me when someone calls for someone else, you ask "can I ask who's calling" then pass it over telling the other person who it is.

So today I ask who's calling.... and get silence.... thinking they've misheard I say it again.... silence again.... I repeat again......finally a stilted answer "It's.a.colleague"

So she takes her call.

Afterwards I ask "Who was that pr!ck"?

It's a guy that usually phones, and he's went on to tell her "Can you tell jmo21 not to ask who's calling, he doesn't need to announce it to the office, it's a pet peeve of mine".

What a kn0b!

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Me and the permie opposite me have to share a desk phone.

So quite often she'll pick up a call for me, and vice versa.

Common courtesy has always told me when someone calls for someone else, you ask "can I ask who's calling" then pass it over telling the other person who it is.

So today I ask who's calling.... and get silence.... thinking they've misheard I say it again.... silence again.... I repeat again......finally a stilted answer "It's.a.colleague"

So she takes her call.

It's a guy that usually phones, and he's went on to tell her "Can you tell jmo21 not to ask who's calling, he doesn't need to announce it to the office, it's a pet peeve of mine".

What a kn0b!
    General is ^ but yes common courtesy is there to make everything easy.

You're best bet is to ask him who it is, double check and then put the phone down instead of passing it over.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My current client and in particular banks have a very strict code of conduct to protect their business and one of the aspects of this here is to always ask who is calling. Contractors have to be particularly careful. We regularly get people ringing random extensions and trying to dig for managers names and positions. God help the contractor that gives that out here.

Because of this i think it is perfectly reasonable and he needs to get over his pet peeve. It's not your fault due to the shared phones. If they ask for her by name I guess you could hand it straight over if it makes life easier but I agree it feels weird.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't answer the permie's phones. They are for the permie's. I have my own phone (my mobile).
        Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          My current client and in particular banks have a very strict code of conduct to protect their business and one of the aspects of this here is to always ask who is calling. Contractors have to be particularly careful. We regularly get people ringing random extensions and trying to dig for managers names and positions. God help the contractor that gives that out here.

Because of this i think it is perfectly reasonable and he needs to get over his pet peeve. It's not your fault due to the shared phones. If they ask for her by name I guess you could hand it straight over if it makes life easier but I agree it feels weird.
          This is a development office, and one of the issues we have is that this office often gets users phoning with support issues, totally bypassing main support, so it's absolutely valid to ask.

I'll recognise his voice next time, I haven't decided whether I'll still ask it. If he were to say "it's a colleague again", I'll hand it over saying loudly "It's W@nkych0ps"

or maybe I won't even ask and I'll just hand it over saying the same.

I just thought is was a ridiculously minor thing for him to be annoyed about.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            General is ^ but yes common courtesy is there to make everything easy.

You're best bet is to ask him who it is, double check and then put the phone down instead of passing it over.
            woops, meant to post in General, can an admin move please? I'm sure I also need the piss taken out of me for balance!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
              I don't answer the permie's phones. They are for the permie's. I have my own phone (my mobile).
              I don't give permie staff that need to phone me my mobile.

Comment

I don't give permie staff that need to phone me my mobile.
                Good point.
                Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Next time tell him if he doesn't want his affair with her to be announced all over the office then he should call her mobile.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X