• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help Finding an IFA/IFP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Finding an IFA/IFP

Hi all,

I've been having difficulty setting up an appointment with an IFA recommended to me by my accountant (got the first meeting in then a cancelled one and little communication from the IFA). I'm quite keen to get a few things sorted ASAP and wondered if anyone had recommendations?

I'm looking for the following:
    # Relevant Person Life Insurance (i.e. provided through the company, but not treated as BIK)
    # Pension - to take over my permie pension before I lose the employer contributions, and to keep a pension going now I'm contracting. Again I'd like this to go through the company
    # Critical Illness Cover - again through the company
    # Permanent Health Insurance (Income protection) - again via the company and to cover dividends as well as salary.

In honesty I'd be quite happy to investigate/set these things up myself, but I haven't been able to find any so far that don't involve going through an IFA (which could be setup by the company as opposed to by me personally).

On reading about IFAs, a common theme seems to be to try to find one that works based on fees rather than commission (the idea being that you pay a fixed rate and the IFA doesn't have a motivation to push you toward something that is better commission for them but a worse deal for you). I've not been able to find any so far that appear to (a) be a good fit for contractors / small businesses and/or (b) don't require you to have £1m+ to be advised on.

Does anyone have positive experiences with IFAs that they'd be willing to share (and name)? Fee based seems preferable, but I'll consider commission based if they have a good report card.

I have searched the forums, but haven't really found anything recent (though there does seem to be a fair bit of mistrust of IFAs in the posts I've read).

Thanks in advance.

Try searching via Unbiased.

Comment

Working...
    X