• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very sad story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very sad story

Balance swings against the star traders - Telegraph

It could have bought 72 bars of gold bullion, or 8,999 tons of chocolate, or even 1.1m pounds of coffee for the same amount.

But Barclays bought Todd Edgar.

The star commodities trader was lured from JP Morgan to much hullabaloo. There was anger over his two-year guaranteed bonus and the promise he and his team would pocket 15pc of all their profits. But mostly because his magic touch cost the British bank £30m.

Yesterday, the spell was broken. Edgar, and his team of 11, were fired.

The City was abuzz with rumours that he would have his own hedge fund set up by the end of the year. But it said more about Barclays’ curtailed investment banking ambitions.

Edgar is part of a wave of “prop desk” traders pushed out of investment banks by new regulation.

This story has brought tears to my eyes.

So how much do stars cost ?

Is Alpha Centauri already taken ?
    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Originally posted by Chantho View Post
      So how much do stars cost ?

Is Alpha Centauri already taken ?
      Forget stars, there are enough galaxies in the visible universe for everyone on Earth to own 25 each, assuming they aren't already taken. Imagine owning a whole galaxy, containing trillions of stars and planets. A good explore would be in order.

I expect Edgar will be walking away with his boots brimming.

Comment

Working...
      X