• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software versioning - the world has gone mad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software versioning - the world has gone mad

It started with Windows 95 that instead of nice version used year of release, no doubt to make buyers feel they have outdated product few years later.

Now the trend is even worse: Firefox v4 was released earlier this year, quickly followed by 5 and 6, and now already beta 7 available just weeks from last release, FFS - Chrome is on version 13 already.

A full release gets press coverage from the techie sites and mags, a dot release won't get anything other than a passing glance from the same journos while it downloads via an automatic update.

As with many other aspects of software, the marketing and PR people dominate.

Comment

I still love Oracle 1, was was never released instead going straight to 2.0 so people though it was stable
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
        A full release gets press coverage from the techie sites and mags, a dot release won't get anything other than a passing glance from the same journos while it downloads via an automatic update.

As with many other aspects of software, the marketing and PR people dominate.
        Firefox is free, so who cares? And if they do a major release now, who's going to notice?

C++ seems to have gone from 98, to 0x to 11. So that's okay then.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm still on FF2 and IE6 in here.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            C++ seems to have gone from 98, to 0x to 11. So that's okay then.
            They use years to mark release and had like 3 released in nearly 15 years, that's slow if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Now the trend is even worse: Firefox v4 was released earlier this year, quickly followed by 5 and 6, and now already beta 7 available just weeks from last release, FFS - Chrome is on version 13 already.
              Yea, firefox went away from the update labels like FF3 where it got up to something like FF3.16.13. Now they are following the IE/chrome format of FF4, FF5, FF6, etc.

FF5 and FF6 are horrible, buggy and slow. On FF4 here.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I'm still on FF2 and IE6 in here.
              There is a website set up by MS called IE6countdown.

I emailed them quite a while back spanning a few pages, telling them they were completely incompetant, unaware of their markets/customers and how I would prefer having a drunk chimp coding for me, rather than any of their programmers.

They just dont seem to get, that so many businesses use IE6 still. One of my old contracts, they couldnt use IE7 or above because a lot of the bespoke software relied on IE6 and how it rendered pages.

They also seem to think that XP and old generations of OS's will disappear when they eventually discontinue it, but it wont. So many companies still use w23k server and xp on desktops. Some would love new pc's with win7, but most of the business software wouldnt work, so it would be pointless.

Comment

Working...
              X