• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

wheelchair user on 1st time contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheelchair user on 1st time contract

After 5 years in IT Investment Banking I'm comfortable with a move to contracting but have concerns about the fact that I use a wheelchair and that this may affect my employability.

As a Permie I have all sorts of laws covering me as I'm sure I do as a contractor but my concern is that at interview stage or earlier I'll simply be discriminated against over someone abled bodied. I'm pretty sharp at getting people chilled n over it but still...

Sticking with the big banks is the best thing to do but I'm interested in any feeling/experiences on this folks here may have.

Ta muchly

I, for one, wish you the absolute best of british luck.

Never noticed much discrimination in the contracting world, if anything less than a permie environment. They're, after all, only interested in us getting the job done.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie007
      After 5 years in IT Investment Banking I'm comfortable with a move to contracting but have concerns about the fact that I use a wheelchair and that this may affect my employability.

As a Permie I have all sorts of laws covering me as I'm sure I do as a contractor but my concern is that at interview stage or earlier I'll simply be discriminated against over someone abled bodied. I'm pretty sharp at getting people chilled n over it but still...

Sticking with the big banks is the best thing to do but I'm interested in any feeling/experiences on this folks here may have.

Ta muchly
      I think Threadeds comments are quite correct,the main focus is your abilty to perform the task in hand, if you can do that then all well be well.

The vast majoity of employers are primarily interested in your experience and skills, if they are in demand I doubt you will have much problem in securing contracts regardless of your disablity.

Feel free to ask further questions

Good Luck
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 12 April 2006, 13:14.

Comment

Why is there a sudden rush from permie to contract?

Comment

Originally posted by Benny
          Why is there a sudden rush from permie to contract?

For me or generally ?

Mine is financial. We is trying for kids and those things cost a fortune. I should know. I still am one...

Comment

Investment banks do a lot of technical tests, and evaluate (reject) a lot of candidates before even seeing them.

If you can sail through the tests, then I can't see them being worried about the fact that you use a wheelchair. I mean for most jobs, especially as a contractor you'll spend the whole day at the same desk.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by jamie007
              For me or generally ?

Mine is financial. We is trying for kids and those things cost a fortune. I should know. I still am one...
              Beware! You can never "Afford" kids.....Just go for it....

Comment

good luck with your contract hunting

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                X