• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worked as IT consultant during Uni, what needs to be declared?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worked as IT consultant during Uni, what needs to be declared?

I've been a student at University since 07, been doing IT work on the side as a "consultant" getting paid by the hour, and had to invoice them. I've not declared any of it, it's never been more than £2k a year. What should I be doing, I've been reading several threads and hmrc articles but without finding a definite answer. Thanks for any comments. Also ask away if it's not clear enough.

IMO don't declate it - no tax owing and you have not been asked to submit a return.

I hope you have your NI sorted out though....

Comment

If your only income during those years was £2,000 then it's right that no tax would be due, but I'd advise HMRC of it anyway to save yourself any trouble at a later date (on the off chance they discover you via an investigation into your clients). From this year HMRC will impose a penalty for the late filing of a tax return whether tax is due or not.

You'll be exempt from self employed NI as your earnings are below the lower limit.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Ok, so now I fill in the online "Enrol for Self Assessment"? Won't that require a Unique Taxpayer Reference?

Comment

Originally posted by jbs View Post
          I've been a student at University since 07, been doing IT work on the side as a "consultant" getting paid by the hour, and had to invoice them. I've not declared any of it, it's never been more than £2k a year. What should I be doing, I've been reading several threads and hmrc articles but without finding a definite answer. Thanks for any comments. Also ask away if it's not clear enough.
          The professional, honest method would be to have a word with your local tax office who will get you to fill in a load of forms and may ask you 'register' as self employed or ask for a self assessment form.

The practical, can't be bothered to do the paperwork and get messed about so at the end of the day I don't pay anything, land up having to fill in forms for years to come which you'll probably forget about and land up with an HMRC fine for nothing would be to say to it.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

National Insurance Contributions (NICs)

I'm no tax expert but have spent time on HMRC site, my understanding is you won't have earned enough to incur tax or NI. As the tax limits are higher than the NI limits the above CUK link would support my understanding I believe.

Comment

Working...
            X