PDA

View Full Version : Penalty Through Post For Driving In Middle Of Road

DeludedAussie
7th September 2011, 23:06
Anyone who has seen this first hand knows how difficult this can be

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Englefield+Rd&daddr=Englefield+Rd,+London+N1,+UK&hl=en&ll=51.543808,-0.089001&spn=0.000002,0.001837&sll=51.543726,-0.088894&sspn=0.000792,0.001837&geocode=FQJ_EgMdWKT-_w%3BFXV8EgMd-7v-_yknmZ2TkBx2SDGKtvg8vFC6wQ&vpsrc=0&gl=uk&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.543808,-0.089001&panoid=_srlZOpXAsQQFJ7nKQO68A&cbp=12,27.02,,0,0

I got a fine through the post for driving through the middle of the road and not to the left

My point is that the sign says 7"2 yet when I measured the actual space between the two bollards it is a lot less then 7"2 - More like 6"8

Should I just pay up or is it worth a fight?

KentPhilip
7th September 2011, 23:17
Never heard of an offence of driving down the middle of the road. What do they want you to do, drive on the pavement?

DeludedAussie
7th September 2011, 23:25
Never heard of an offence of driving down the middle of the road. What do they want you to do, drive on the pavement?

Have a peek at this Englefield Rd to Englefield Rd, London N1, UK - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Englefield+Rd&daddr=Englefield+Rd,+London+N1,+UK&hl=en&ll=51.543808,-0.089001&spn=0.000002,0.001837&sll=51.543726,-0.088894&sspn=0.000792,0.001837&geocode=FQJ_EgMdWKT-_w%3BFXV8EgMd-7v-_yknmZ2TkBx2SDGKtvg8vFC6wQ&vpsrc=0&gl=uk&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.543808,-0.089001&panoid=_srlZOpXAsQQFJ7nKQO68A&cbp=12,27.02,,0,0)

Sockpuppet
7th September 2011, 23:39
The offence is entering the white box with the solid white outline.

Broken Outline = You may enter if its safe to do so
Solid White Line = You may only enter in an emergency

Unless you were on an emergency call I'd say you should cough up.

Also, the sign there is a red circle (i.e. something you must not do) which is telling you that it's prohibited to take a motor vehicle greater than 7'2" wide past that point. It's not telling you the gap between the posts is 7'2". Given most cars are wider at the wing mirrors / door handles than the wheels its not enough to say that the posts on the ground were narrower as your car's wheels should fit through. I don't know of the wheel track of any car greater than 1.9m (6'3" ish). So no basically cough up and drive through the correct bit. The center is only there to allow ambulances through while preventing HGVs etc from doing the same.

Clippy
8th September 2011, 01:18

Englefield Rd to Englefield Rd, London N1, UK - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Englefield+Rd&daddr=Englefield+Rd,+London+N1,+UK&hl=en&ll=51.543808,-0.089001&spn=0.000002,0.001837&sll=51.543726,-0.088894&sspn=0.000792,0.001837&geocode=FQJ_EgMdWKT-_w%3BFXV8EgMd-7v-_yknmZ2TkBx2SDGKtvg8vFC6wQ&vpsrc=0&gl=uk&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.543808,-0.089001&panoid=_srlZOpXAsQQFJ7nKQO68A&cbp=12,27.02,,0,0)

I got a fine through the post for driving through the middle of the road and not to the left

My point is that the sign says 7"2 yet when I measured the actual space between the two bollards it is a lot less then 7"2 - More like 6"8

I know it's mean, but :laugh

Please go back to your original username of Joey (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/joey122.html) as it really is more apt.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3332/engled.jpg

cojak
8th September 2011, 04:08
As Mr C would say, you could drive a bus down that! (and the car in the picture obviously managed it.)

I reckon that camera must be a nice little earner for them as the gap in the middle, while definately not to be used, must be like a moth to a flame for lazy/poor drivers.

BrilloPad
8th September 2011, 06:21
Personally I think you should fight it. You will lose. But if everyone fought every ticket all the way society would be alot better.

cojak
8th September 2011, 06:28
.....and it would give us a laugh.

gingerjedi
8th September 2011, 06:33
I'm glad the government/councils collect cash in this way, it's a sort of extra tax levied on the stupid so people with average intelligence and above pay a little less.:D

BrilloPad
8th September 2011, 06:34
I'm glad the government/councils collect cash in this way, it's a sort of extra tax levied on the stupid so people with average intelligence and above pay a little less.:D

Like the national lottery then?

d000hg
8th September 2011, 06:41
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3332/engled.jpgCould some city dweller explain exactly what the rationale is behind that road layout for us country bumpkins?

BrilloPad
8th September 2011, 06:43
Could some city dweller explain exactly what the rationale is behind that road layout for us country bumpkins?

To stop lorries and coaches and stupid drivers who don't know the width of their cars using the road as a shortcut. But ambulances can get through the middle.

mudskipper
8th September 2011, 06:50
The presence of a camera is clearly marked. You'd have to be a bit dim to drive through the middle.

gingerjedi
8th September 2011, 06:52
Are the little pictures of bicycles really necessary?

d000hg
8th September 2011, 06:53
To stop lorries and coaches and stupid drivers who don't know the width of their cars using the road as a shortcut. But ambulances can get through the middle.Ah, I hate it when those damn motorists use roads to get where they are going.

wobbegong
8th September 2011, 06:55
Could some city dweller explain exactly what the rationale is behind that road layout for us country bumpkins?

I'm glad you asked that, d000hg, I was stumped too.

:emb

BrilloPad
8th September 2011, 06:57
Ah, I hate it when those damn motorists use roads to get where they are going.

Its a fair point. But if its a small residential street it can be very annoying with lorries going past. At all hours. Though I suspect it is more to do with left wing councils hating cars.

I live on a residential street which becomes a rat run from 5pm-7pm. Left wing council. They hate cars - but hate the fact that our street is one of the best streets in the borough more.

Mich the Tester
8th September 2011, 07:21
I'm glad you asked that, d000hg, I was stumped too.

:embMe too. But then I'm a country bumpkin too. Townies are a bit stumped when it's raining and they see a sign saying 'Ford'.

wobbegong
8th September 2011, 07:41
Me too. But then I'm a country bumpkin too. Townies are a bit stumped when it's raining and they see a sign saying 'Ford'.

Yeah, we demand equal rights for bumpkins!

http://th4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/kevnix/smilies/th_smiley_farmer.gif

doodab
8th September 2011, 07:44

It's called a mongwit filter. It's a kind of cattle grid.

TraceRacing
8th September 2011, 07:47
The bicycle logo (for the country dwellers) is that you score extra points if you knock one over... :)

d000hg
8th September 2011, 07:48
The bicycle logo (for the country dwellers) is that you score extra points if you knock one over... :)In the country it would be a painting of a horse.

PAH
8th September 2011, 08:10
Are the little pictures of bicycles really necessary?

Yes. They're to make some people think those lanes at the side are for bikes only, so if they don't slow down and take in all the signs and markings they'll maybe go down the middle thinking it's a daft idea by some cretin that would rather use obfuscation than just put up a f*****g sign saying no lorries or vehicles over a certain size. :rolleyes:

Stuff like this by moron humans, and excused by other moron humans as the best solution make me glad I don't have to live or work in these 'centres of population', otherwise known as shitholes.

And yes, I've ignored plenty of this shit in the past, providing there's no camera around. ;)

Cr1spy
8th September 2011, 08:20
It's obviously setup as a cash cow for the local authority. Why else install an expensive monitoring camera on such a minor road.

However, the layout is (excessively) sign posted, so you don't have a chance in hell of winning a complaint. Another case of driver beware.

Satnav led me up a bus / taxi only road the other day. Waiting on a brown envelope... :frown

milanbenes
8th September 2011, 08:34
Yes. They're to make some people think those lanes at the side are for bikes only,;)

well, I'm a bumpkin and I've never seen a road layout like that

and when I saw the picture I thought it mean't bikes down the side and cars in the middle but I didn't get the white lines in the diamond box

jeeeez there must be a separate highcode for townies cos that system is really confusing

Milan.

PAH
8th September 2011, 08:43
jeeeez there must be a separate highcode for townies cos that system is really confusing

Intentionally designed that way by the same people that designed the tax system. It's not about being efficient or helpful, it's about revenue generation.

PAH
8th September 2011, 08:45
Satnav led me up a bus / taxi only road the other day. Waiting on a brown envelope... :frown

My twatnav is oblivious to one way systems and no entry signs. Maybe it's designed to be that crap or it needs an update.

Will an update work? Anyone got a satnav that knows how to navigate a typical town/city centre correctly?

Paddy
8th September 2011, 08:47

Englefield Rd to Englefield Rd, London N1, UK - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Englefield+Rd&daddr=Englefield+Rd,+London+N1,+UK&hl=en&ll=51.543808,-0.089001&spn=0.000002,0.001837&sll=51.543726,-0.088894&sspn=0.000792,0.001837&geocode=FQJ_EgMdWKT-_w%3BFXV8EgMd-7v-_yknmZ2TkBx2SDGKtvg8vFC6wQ&vpsrc=0&gl=uk&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.543808,-0.089001&panoid=_srlZOpXAsQQFJ7nKQO68A&cbp=12,27.02,,0,0)

There is no provision for that type of road layout in “The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 Act”. I suspect it is the Council that is exceeding there power yet again. Take a copy of the ticket and show us, I am interest on what grounds they want to fine you.

doodab
8th September 2011, 08:48
Anyone got a satnav that knows how to navigate a typical town/city centre correctly?

You need a HumanBrain. Try and get one from the 70s, they have better firmware.

ASB
8th September 2011, 08:51
Are there many of that sort of crud in that there London? Even if you could keep left e.g. on a motorbike that is still likely out of order because the cycle lane may be in operation.

WTF would be wrong with just a no motor vehicles sign. Except for milking the cash cow of course.

rd409
8th September 2011, 08:52
It's obviously setup as a cash cow for the local authority. Why else install an expensive monitoring camera on such a minor road.

However, the layout is (excessively) sign posted, so you don't have a chance in hell of winning a complaint. Another case of driver beware.

Is it not dumb, to blindly follow where satnav takes you, and not see the road signs around. Remember, sat nav know the roads and layout when you last updated. Councils across the land, keep changing the layouts all the time.

I always used to wonder, how people end up in ditch, and then claim the satnav led them that way. No more I guess.

Mich the Tester
8th September 2011, 08:55
Is it any bloody wonder that governments all over Europe are running deficits when they complicate the relatively simple task of building a road by adding in all this expensive shite?

Cr1spy
8th September 2011, 09:02
I always used to wonder, how people end up in ditch, and then claim the satnav led them that way. No more I guess.

I didn't blame Mrs SatNav, how was she to know?

Bless her and her constant "Turn around where possible" comments.

SueEllen
8th September 2011, 09:06
Are there many of that sort of crud in that there London?

Where I've live/lived and drive they tend to put a large bush with flowers in the middle or some raised structure as ambulances can manage to fit through the sides - I've seen it though most of them avoid those roads.

Fire engines can't so they tend to avoid those roads. Alternatively they will put a locked gate in the middle if it's the only access and fire engines need to use them.

d000hg
8th September 2011, 09:54
Is it not dumb, to blindly follow where satnav takes you, and not see the road signs around.There's a difference between "blindly following" and "trying to concentrate on the map, the other traffic, pedestrians and ensuring you don't miss a road sign in an unfamiliar surrounding.

pacharan
8th September 2011, 10:15
I think be has a point. I'd have been confused by the bicycle indicating it was a cycle lane - cars aren't supposed to use cycle lanes are they?

rpgpgmr1
8th September 2011, 10:33
There are quite a few of these in London and yes I think they are deliberately confusing (revenue raising) . The scary bit is as you get close to the black bollard things you can see copious shades of paint on them . If you do not line up EXACTLY between the things you are very likely to scrape part of your car and add to the paintwork. :mad

PAH
8th September 2011, 10:41
You need a HumanBrain. Try and get one from the 70s, they have better firmware.

My brain works ok, it's the only thing stopping me following my twatnav through no entry signs or along the railway tracks. :rolleyes:

The problem I'm complaining about is that unless there are regular updates the twatnav is useless as it doesn't cope well with one way systems or pedestrianised zones.

So I'm usually forced to drive like a rat in a maze around unfamiliar centres looking for an alternative way, hoping that the twatnav will cotton onto one for me.

:throw:

Lockhouse
8th September 2011, 11:19
I sympathise. It's unintuitive and from looking at the picture I'd probably have done exactly what you did.

Clippy
8th September 2011, 11:44

Is this Britain's most lucrative camera? (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2034749/Is-Britains-lucrative-camera-Bus-lane-snoop-rakes-20-000-DAY-fines.html)

Peoplesoft bloke
8th September 2011, 12:07
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is extremely counterinuitive and I can see how it could mislead. Having seen it I am forewarned for the unlikely event in which I have to drive in the shithole that is our Crapital City.

Mich the Tester
8th September 2011, 13:16
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It is extremely counterinuitive and I can see how it could mislead. Having seen it I am forewarned for the unlikely event in which I have to drive in the tuliphole that is our Crapital City.

WHS, but I'd just go somewhere better.

sasguru
8th September 2011, 13:25
There are clearly a lot of stupid people on this forum :laugh:laugh

1. First of all there's an arrow telling you where you should go.
2. Then there's a large polygon with stripy lines telling you were you shouldn't go.
3. And finally there's a camera sign

Fines from that camera are a deserving tax on the stupid.
:rollin:

Mich the Tester
8th September 2011, 13:28
Thre are clearly a lot of stupid people on this forum :laugh:laugh

1. First of all there's an arrow telling you where you should go.

Yes that's right, it points south west towards Madrid and Lisbon. Bloody good advice too.

sasguru
8th September 2011, 13:30
Yes that's right, it points south west towards Madrid and Lisbon. Bloody good advice too.

I've been to both. Madrid's Ok. Lisbon can be a right shitehole. And the food there is terrible.

HTH

Mich the Tester
8th September 2011, 13:34
I've been to both. Madrid's Ok. Lisbon can be a right tulipehole. And the food there is terrible.

HTH

I like both. Portuguese food is not really very refined, but get some fresh fish in the villages north of Lisbon and it's good. Just avoid Cascais; used to be very nice, now full of Brits and Russians on golf-chav holidays.

sasguru
8th September 2011, 13:37
I like both. Portuguese food is not really very refined, but get some fresh fish in the villages north of Lisbon and it's good. Just avoid Cascais; used to be very nice, now full of Brits and Russians on golf-chav holidays.

Porto is far more civilised than Lisbon. Will be retiring there.

shaunbhoy
8th September 2011, 13:42
Porto is far more civilised than Lisbon. Will be retiring there.

Thereby making it thoroughly uncivilised.

:laugh