• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employee Liability insurance with no employees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee Liability insurance with no employees

Anybody come across an inability to get Employee Liability cover?
    I'm trying to sort out insurance cover and went through a couple of insurance search sites and came acrosss a bit of a problem.
    They ask for the number of employees of the Ltd excluding directors. Since I'm a director that means zero.
    In that case you don't get a quote for Employee Liability insurance.
    So the only way for me to get cover is to falsify the information I'm giving the insurance company means I can't have this cover (which makes sense if there is no employees) or I'm lying on my application (not a good plan).
    However most contracts now require Employee cover to the tune of a lot of zeroes (plus professional indemnity and public liability which is not a problem)

Is it the case that as a director with no other people earning a salary that you don't legally require this cover or am I missing something?

Thanks
    K

AFAIK if you are the sole director / employee / grunt / owner there is no legal requirement for EL.

Who you gonna sue? Yourself?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Thanks thats sort of what I figured from them not offering it.
      I would also assume that any contractual requirement to have it would be invalid?

Comment

Originally posted by Keldin View Post
        Thanks thats sort of what I figured from them not offering it.
        I would also assume that any contractual requirement to have it would be invalid?
        Unless you want to send in a subbie that you are tkaing on as an employee (it happens)...

I get mine bundled in with the necesary PI and PLI for about fourpence extra. But you can live without it; if it's in the contract, just strike that bit out.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Unless you want to send in a subbie that you are tkaing on as an employee (it happens)...

I get mine bundled in with the necesary PI and PLI for about fourpence extra. But you can live without it; if it's in the contract, just strike that bit out.
          If you are legally exempt from having it you have complied with the contract regulations so there is no need to strike it out.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I get mine bundled in with the necesary PI and PLI for about fourpence extra.
            How do you manage that? Any quote I look at it's the biggest cost of the 3.

K

Comment

I'm with QDOS and I think that includes this as well?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
                AFAIK if you are the sole director / employee / grunt / owner there is no legal requirement for EL.

Who you gonna sue? Yourself?
                What happens if you sue your own company that is operated only by you?

Can you get money out of the limited without paying CT? SCAM!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  I'm with QDOS and I think that includes this as well?
                  That's actually not bad.
                  Thanks for that.

K

Comment

Working...
                  X