• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD Accountancy or Nixon Williams

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD Accountancy or Nixon Williams

Just about to set up accountancy services. I'm thinking of going with either SJD or Nixon Williams. Anyone got any thoughts as to which is better / easy to work with?

Look at the charges before you decide, you might be in for a shock how much one of them charges.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Look at the charges before you decide, you might be in for a shock how much one of them charges.
      I don't know which one your are talking about but charges seem to be going up across the board at the moment so I think it will be short lived if you are going to pick one purely on cost.

For the record I am with SJD and they do what they say on the tin. Compared to a more expensive useless accountant I had before they are worth what I pay.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've used SJD for many years and have had zero problems.

Others say exactly the same about Nixon Wiliams.

Tricky one, isnt it... But at least you're choosing betwen two of the better options. And as I've said many times, a good accountant is free, so don't look at costs as the prime consideration.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

So what's the prices?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

£75 for NW and £105 for SJD. I'm trying not to decide on price but rather on a comparison of services provided.

Comment

I think the main difference is with SJD you have a spreadsheet to fill in whereas with NW you don't. AFAIK, the end result is just the same.

Comment

NW are very good.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I am with Nixon Williams and very happy with them.

It is hard to decide as there are just as many happy with either one.

I assume that you have spoken to someone at each company, if so, who did you feel most comfortable with?

I guess it may also come down to whether you are happy to complete a spreadsheet each month, or whether you want your accountant to do the basic book keeping. It seems to me that SJD charges more for doing less, but it is for you to decide.
                  "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Do either of them provide monthly figures: not quite management accounts but a summary breaking down profits and the various provisions (PAYE / CT / VAT etc)? In my view, that's quite important.

Comment

Working...
                    X