• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a consultancy company an "agency"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a consultancy company an "agency"?

1. I have a limited company A

2. A has a contract with limited company B (there is no agency between A and B). B has a director and four contractors with similar arrangements to myself and B brands itself as a consultancy company.

3. B has a contract with C. The director of B manages the relationship with C, and he assigns the work between himself and my company and the limited companies of the other contractors. If anyone in C asks me to do something that is non-trivial I would mention it to the director of B first and he might assign it to me. B has other clients but I have exclusively worked on the contract for C (which accounts for 90% of his work).

4. I work on the site of C 60% of the time, B 20% of the time and from my own office 20% of the time.

I see a lot of discussions about agencies and clients and how the relationship with the client determines one's IR35 status. Should I consider my relationship as with B as an agency and C as the client or as with B as the client?

Working...
X