• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New NMW applied from October 1. Do I need to pay myself more salary?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New NMW applied from October 1. Do I need to pay myself more salary?

Hi,

New NMW is applied from October 1. Do I need to pay myself more salary in line with new NMW value? Currently I am paying myself (director) 589 monthly salary.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

No need to adjust your monthly salary payments so long as you are a director of your company, and not considered an employee. In your capacity as a Director you can pay yourself whatever salary you like - as an employee your company would be bound by the NMW rules.

What makes you an employee?? The presence of an employment contract or workers contract. So long as none exists, your duties as a Director fall outside of NMW.

See Who is not entitled to the National Minimum Wage : Directgov - Employment
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
    X