• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not seen many of those...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seen many of those...

2 year contracts that is. In fact possibly the first one I've come across in my area.
    Is it unusual?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I had 2 year contracts but they were usually the result of 3-6 months initial work with several 3 month extensions once they realised the project needs far more time to be done properly
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Don't be confused by these new permie 2 year contracts where they can have you work as a permie for 2 years and not have to give you all the benefits. After a certain time they are obliged to give you an offer or let you go. BUPA do it. Dunno how they can get away with them, its like getting 2 years cheap labour and not have to commit to the employee.

Without seeing the contract it may be a proper 2 year contract as we know it but would be mindful of the above first.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Don't be confused by these new permie 2 year contracts where they can have you work as a permie for 2 years and not have to give you all the benefits. After a certain time they are obliged to give you an offer or let you go. BUPA do it. Dunno how they can get away with them, its like getting 2 years cheap labour and not have to commit to the employee.

Without seeing the contract it may be a proper 2 year contract as we know it but would be mindful of the above first.
        Hadn't thought of that. Since I'm not applying I'll never know - but the ad reads:
        C++ low latency Developer - London
        Essential Skills:
        C++
        Linux/Unix
        Finance experience specifically ecommerce, equity and fixed income, particulaly within a low latency environment

My client is looking for a C++ low latency developer with a track record of working within the finance sector

The ideal candidate with be a C++ low latency developer comfortable writing algorithms within a fixed income and ecommerce background

Contract 2 years, start ASAP, Market Rates
        Please email an updated CV if interested
        In that sector, I'd assume it is a proper deal and they simply need someone to stick around long enough to be valuable.

Comment

It depends if "market rates" are genuine contractor market rates or disguised permie "take the salary and divide it by 240 to give a daily rate" rates. The former can be quite lucrative and give good long-term potential for building a huge warchest plus paying for a long "sabbatical" break, even though the 2 year time means no travel expenses from the very first day.
          Last edited by craig1; 4 October 2011, 09:50. Reason: fat fingered typo done while on a desperately boring teleconference

Comment

I had a 2 year contact, which was then renewed for another 2 years. "Proper" contract and "proper" rates (£450+) - still got another 6 months to go on the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              It depends if "market rates" are genuine contractor market rates or disguised permie "take the salary and divide it by 52 to give a daily rate" rates. The former can be quite lucrative and give good long-term potential for building a huge warchest plus paying for a long "sabbatical" break, even though the 2 year time means no travel expenses from the very first day.
              I'd take £salary/52 as a daily rate.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                I'd take £salary/52 as a daily rate.
                Fixed....

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
                  the 2 year time means no travel expenses from the very first day.
                  [Why] is that the case?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    [Why] is that the case?
                    Unless you expect to be on site for <40%, you come against the 2 year rule.

Comment

Working...
                    X