• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduce director pay from 7,470 due to other income?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduce director pay from 7,470 due to other income?

Hi All

Just wondering, as a director of ltd co, receiving 7,470 per annum PAYE.. also receiving 4k per annum "Profit from UK land and property" (as self-assessment likes to call it ..

...should I knock down that PAYE by 4k down to 3,470?

I presume my self-assessment is hitting me for ~23 % of that 4k -- 920£
    Cheers
    rich

Yes, you will be paying tax on your property income at a rate of 20%. However if you are a standard rate tax payer there are hardly any gains to be had in adjusting your ltd company salary. A reduction in salary (and the resulting personal tax savings) will be offset by the rise in corporation tax you pay by the resulting increase in your company net profit.

You are paying a little more in NI than perhaps you need to - consider cutting your salary back to £7,225 per year to keep it below the threshold at which NIC's become payable.

If you are a higher rate taxpayer, then cutting back your salary will make a difference, as it will bring the corresponding amount in dividends out of the higher rate earnings bracket. You do of course end up earning less money, and this exercise would be pointless if you needed to pay yourself more dividends to compensate for the reduction in salary.
    Last edited by Greg@CapitalCity; 5 October 2011, 08:00.
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
      You are paying a little more in NI than perhaps you need to - consider cutting your salary back to £7,225 per year to keep it below the threshold at which NIC's become payable.
      At £7,225 there would be some employer's NI due, might be worth dropping to £7,072 to avoid NI altogether? It might be slightly less tax efficient (by a very negligible amount) but would avoid the need to pay approximately £1.75 to HMRC each month.

Just a thought

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post
        At £7,225 there would be some employer's NI due
        Arrgghh - glad you picked up on that Martin - I knew you would
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category

Comment

Is it IR 35 unfriendly to not pay yourself any salary at all (if I already have salary over 8k from a perm job) ?

Comment

Thanks for all the tips!

ltd co pays out the divs into higher rate, around 50k divs per year. so i'll just leave as is if nothing to gain. that lowering to 7k could be one option to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
              Is it IR 35 unfriendly to not pay yourself any salary at all (if I already have salary over 8k from a perm job) ?
              Not at all - pay yourself whatever salary you like. Its often been said that the level of salary can be an indicator that the HMRC use to determine whether to visit your company for a compliance check or not. I have not seen that myself, and the tax inspectors I have spoken to confirm my view. Still, some disagree and luckily everyone is entitled to an opinion.

IR35 itself though is a matter of employment law - the salary you pay yourself would not be considered a factor in determining your IR35 position.

To be fair, the tax difference for you here is minor so long as you keep your total earnings from all sources below the higher rate earnings threshold (for the same reasons I gave above). But I can see how it will help reduce your admin by keeping ltd company salary at zero for the rest of the tax year.

Comment

Working...
              X