• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corporation Tax HMRC Repayment cheque each year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corporation Tax HMRC Repayment cheque each year

Hi all

Each year after paying Corporation tax I get a repayment cheque for a few quid from HMRC, for interest for the days before the deadline. (I always pay early)

Anyone found a way to avoid the cheques? Can they make repayment directly to a bank account? I couldn't spot a setting anywhere.

I don't even have a paying in book, so each time I get a cheque I need to manually deal with it, and post it to our bank!

Cheers, rich

I just go one of these, and realised, I will have to pay corporation tax next year on this corporation tax interest payment as it contributes towards profit.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
      I just go one of these, and realised, I will have to pay corporation tax next year on this corporation tax interest payment as it contributes towards profit.
      No you won't. It's excluded from the CT calc.

Edit: not now it isn't.
      Last edited by ASB; 31 October 2011, 10:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Pork Belly
        Fantastic, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          No you won't. It's excluded from the CT calc.
          Hmm, why is that? Because the CT amount reduces by the amount of interest it earns if paid early?

I've always understood interest was included in the next CT calc. (I also was including CT interest, and bank account interest in the Flat Rate VAT calc until that was changed this year)

Cheers, rich

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
            Hmm, why is that? Because the CT amount reduces by the amount of interest it earns if paid early?
            Just like bank interest, any interest you receive for early payment of your corporation tax is treated as taxable income for the company, and it will contribute to your next years taxable income. Take a look at;
            HM Revenue & Customs: Interest paid when Corporation Tax is overpaid or paid early
            2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
            || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Does it matter? Surely paying tax on a £1 means you're still better off than if you didn't receive the £1. If it's that much of a hassle shred the cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
                Just like bank interest, any interest you receive for early payment of your corporation tax is treated as taxable income for the company, and it will contribute to your next years taxable income. Take a look at;
                HM Revenue & Customs: Interest paid when Corporation Tax is overpaid or paid early
                That is pretty clear, it's chargeable (and allowable if interest is paid).

I had always excluded it on the advice of my accountants, further digging and it appears the change was when CTSA was introduced. I guess I'd done it wrong for quite a number of years. Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
                  Each year after paying Corporation tax I get a repayment cheque for a few quid from HMRC, for interest for the days before the deadline. (I always pay early)
                  Set it up in online banking to pay right on the due date.

If the cheque is only for a quid or so then chuck it in the shredder.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    Set it up in online banking to pay right on the due date.

If the cheque is only for a quid or so then chuck it in the shredder.
                    Hmmm, if only I could re-direct all those unclaimed £1's to my account.... maybe superman will come and save me if I get caught!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X