• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Abandoned limited company mess

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abandoned limited company mess

Hi all, new to the forum and firstly want to say what a great resource this site and these forums are.

I have an entirely self created issue with an old Limited company, Its all my fault and I was a complete idiot, I know this and I know I should have handled things differently. I am where I am and I'm looking for some advise on how to properly sort things out.

My situation:
    - In 2007 I set up a Limited Company through JSA for the purposes of contracting. I was intending to be in it for the long haul.
    - I used the company for 1 contract of only 4 months in 2007 and then my circumstances changed and I moved out of the UK in July 2007 to work as a permanent employee. I have had no UK income since then.
    - When I left the UK I was a negligent/naive fool and did not close anything down properly. I did not wind up the company, I did not file taxes, I did not close things down properly with JSA (I'm not sure I paid them their 200+ GBP a month either)
    - I think I left about 200 quid in my company account after salary and dividends and even left without getting paid by a client for the final week's work on the contract (not sure they would want to honour that 4.5 years later)
    - I've had my 4+ years of blissful, head in the sand, ignorance out in Euroland and now I'm facing the prospect of contracting again (A good thing that I am excited about) in the UK.
    - I'm pretty sure I need to wind down the old Ltd company but I'm sure I owe Corporation tax, probably a boat load of fines and probably have income tax issues as well. Not to mention I probably Owe JSA a fair bit of cash. Even though I only put 4 months worth through the company I'm sure things have accumulated!

As I said, I want to sort this out but I have no idea how to start, I don't have access to the JSA system to check anything and I need to get a contract soon. My other worry is that if I start contracting through an Umbrella company I will have tax issues (I don't think I have a P45 from my 2007 contract as I did not close things down properly with JSA and did not need it to work in Europe)

I have contacted JSA to ask them what I owe and how we can proceed but could really use some of your seasoned advice.

Thanks in advance.

And again, yes I have bee a complete idiot and probably well deserve the hefty bills headed my way . . .

Update

Hi,

While my post was being moderated I received a call from JSA in response to my query.

JSA tell me that the company was dissolved in 2009 with no liability outstanding that they can tell.

They also tell me they have no record of me owing them anything.

I'm stumped how any of this is possible, maybe HMRC did not want to bother with me considering there was only 3/4 months of limited trading?

I guess that means I only need to worry about tax returns for 2007?

I think when I do return to contracting it's probably safer for me to go the Umbrella route since I am clearly not admin minded . . .

Cheers

Comment

First thing - check if your company still exists. Probably not, in which case HMRC won't be pursuing it for unpaid taxes. You can check here: WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

JSA have probably written off the debt. I wouldn't advise approaching them again as they might 'remember' it and chase it. Unless they applied a CCJ whilst you were away.

Your personal tax situation would be more complicated, and I'd suggest you talk to an accountant about this. They can apply to discuss the issues with HMRC on your behalf, and then just let you know what you need to do.

You don't need a P45, the umbrella will simply ask you to complete a P46.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        First thing - check if your company still exists. Probably not, in which case HMRC won't be pursuing it for unpaid taxes. You can check here: WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

JSA have probably written off the debt. I wouldn't advise approaching them again as they might 'remember' it and chase it. Unless they applied a CCJ whilst you were away.

Your personal tax situation would be more complicated, and I'd suggest you talk to an accountant about this. They can apply to discuss the issues with HMRC on your behalf, and then just let you know what you need to do.

You don't need a P45, the umbrella will simply ask you to complete a P46.
        Many thanks for you reply Clare, I will search out a recommended accountant on here.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by CZUK View Post
          Many thanks for you reply Clare, I will search out a recommended accountant on here.

Thanks!
          I am sure they will be delighted to take you on as a client People say what goes around comes around... unfortunately this just doesn't seem to be the case most of the time..

Anyway, check out the link below. I collated all the accountant recommendation threads we have had in a long while as we do get this asked alot.

Accountant Recommendation Threads
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X