• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to all this and a bit of advice required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to all this and a bit of advice required

Hi guys,
    I am about to leave the Royal Navy and would like to get into the IT consultation side of things. The things is I need a little advice on whether I am ready for this with my military experience.
    I am currently sitting my mcitp and ccna certifications to back up my experience on paper. With four years server administation experience on a nuclear submarine, would this be enough to break into the real world of consulting?
    I hold CTC, SC and DV clearance, have experience of Solaris and windows environment but have no experience of working in the real world. Is it easy to make the transition?
    I am still in the forces but will be coming out within the next 8 months.
    Any advice would be great.
    Thank you in advance

Bash

MS and CCNA quals are ten a penny and you will be going up against the Bobs for the lower end of the scales, my advice a few years permie dom to build up a bit more real world experience.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Sounds like some solid advice. Would the transition to obtaining contracts come easier with that real world experience?
      What are the chances of someone of my level obtaining a permanant job at a decent amount of pay?

Comment

Originally posted by BashSpeight View Post
        Sounds like some solid advice. Would the transition to obtaining contracts come easier with that real world experience?
        What are the chances of someone of my level obtaining a permanant job at a decent amount of pay?
        I disagree. Clearance is a big plus - most contracts require someone 'immediately' so aren't prepared to wait for SC. SC also limits the availablility of the role to British nationals, so 'bob' factor not an issue.

If I were you, I'd definitely dip my toe in the water. Be prepared to accept a low rate for the first contract (if you need to) to get the 'real world' experience.

I guess it depends on your attitude to risk / savings. If you want a job lined up ready for when you leave, then contracting could be tricky. If you're happy to leave and give it a month to see if you can get something, then go for it. Also, you don't say when you're finishing - this time of year is likely to be a bit flat. Check out jobserve and see how many roles there are for your skillset.

Comment

With four years server administation experience on a nuclear submarine
          I would guess that most places would see this as real world experience. If you break something there I guess bad things can happen.

I hold CTC, SC and DV clearance, have experience of Solaris and windows environment
          DV clearance for contractors is like gold dust. SC the same to a certain extent. Once you're in, you tend to be in for a protracted period. Troll some of the job boards and fire off a few CVs. What do you have to lose?
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I don't much understand your skill-set but some general advice if you're going to give it a go. Look for a sector where your experience counts - defence industry for example.

My generic skills (project management, business change) would leave me facing stiff competition in other markets, but because I work exclusively in healthcare, where I have 15 years experience, I have a good edge. Best of luck and report back.

Comment

Hi guys,
              I am about to leave the Royal Navy and would like to get into the IT consultation side of things. The things is I need a little advice on whether I am ready for this with my military experience.
              I am currently sitting my mcitp and ccna certifications to back up my experience on paper. With four years server administation experience on a nuclear submarine, would this be enough to break into the real world of consulting?
              I hold CTC, SC and DV clearance, have experience of Solaris and windows environment but have no experience of working in the real world. Is it easy to make the transition?
              I am still in the forces but will be coming out within the next 8 months.
              Any advice would be great.
              Thank you in advance

Bash
              I don't think you will have much problem securing something, as someone else said take a few low payers to start with and build up from there, most hirers love ex military cos they generally have the right attitude and the trainings good and with security clearance to boot i would go for it

Comment

Check the Security Cleared sites like the ones below. From what I remember around DV as long as you are semi capable you could pick and choose the roles you wanted. It is easier to to train you up as a PM on the job than it is find a Network PM in the time the have sometimes.

Normally in contracting I would say if you don't fit the role exactly don't bother applying but in your position I would apply for anything that looks remotely interesting just on the off chance. Friend of mine was a Cisco guru but just because he was cleared and available he got a Deployment Lead role out of nowhere..

DV Cleared Jobs - Secure Careers. Your resource for security cleared jobs.

Engineering Jobs | Nuclear Jobs | Security Clearance | Security Cleared MOD Jobs | Defence Jobs
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your experience and your security clearance are the important things, MS type qualifications are not that sort after but may be the difference, all other things being equal.

Make sure you join the super special hidden passworded SC/DV section of the site when the invite comes through, if it does. Just be ready when it does. It may take a couple of weeks for them to vet your post content though
                  Last edited by Scrag Meister; 9 November 2011, 09:25.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Check the Security Cleared sites like the ones below. From what I remember around DV as long as you are semi capable you could pick and choose the roles you wanted. It is easier to to train you up as a PM on the job than it is find a Network PM in the time the have sometimes.

Normally in contracting I would say if you don't fit the role exactly don't bother applying but in your position I would apply for anything that looks remotely interesting just on the off chance. Friend of mine was a Cisco guru but just because he was cleared and available he got a Deployment Lead role out of nowhere..

DV Cleared Jobs - Secure Careers. Your resource for security cleared jobs.

Engineering Jobs | Nuclear Jobs | Security Clearance | Security Cleared MOD Jobs | Defence Jobs
                    Agreed. Excellent advice - your clearances are valuable assets and this Northernladuk has done the spadework for you! Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X