• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK v eurozone debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK v eurozone debt

It's not so much the debt as what you are doing about it.

As a householder, a 250K mortgage is OK while you are paying it down. Hence UK's Plan A to get to that position.

But it is an increasing disaster if you can't pay it down because of the interest rate, your other bills, and various members of your family maxing out a new credit card every month. Which is where the eurozone is stuck.

The money markets agree. I think this the message that sas and others try and put across here, but some can't seem to grasp it.

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    The money markets agree. I think this the message that sas and others try and put across here, but some can't seem to grasp it.
    Umm, yes, I grasp it. However, I think that in Italy's case there's a self fulfilling prophecy going on; they could pay their debts as long as they were paying reasonable interest, but due to speculation on them not paying, the interest they pay on new loans has gone up, thereby making it more difficult to pay, thereby forcing yialds up higher, and so on. So it's not just 'the money markets agree', it's also 'the money markets fulfill their own prophecies'.

But then, I'm a cretin AND and expat, so I know nuffink innit.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'd just like to know how to make some money out of the chaos and confusion its causing ......

Comment

Originally posted by minsky1 View Post
        I'd just like to know how to make some money out of the chaos and confusion its causing ......
        Buy a large shipment of Che Guevara t-shirts and PLO scarves and sell them to protesters and rioters.

Comment

Another factor in the UKs favour is the longer term to maturity of most of the debt.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Buy a large shipment of Che Guevara t-shirts and PLO scarves and sell them to protesters and rioters.
            You mean the Yasser Arrafat limited edition face scarf? Its a possibility, taking a look on alibaba.com - bet the Chinese have this market cornered.

Comment

You mean the Yasser Arrafat limited edition face scarf? Its a possibility, taking a look on alibaba.com - bet the Chinese have this market cornered.
              That's the one; red flags might be a good idea too, and some cheapo copies of das kapital.

Comment

Bugger .... the Chinese have cornered the market .... even the revolutionaries are not immune from market forces.

Keffiyeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Production

Today, this symbol of Palestinian identity is now largely imported from China. With the scarf's growing popularity in the 2000s, Chinese manufacturers entered the market, driving Palestinians out of the business.[7] In 2008, Yasser Herbawi, who for five decades had been the only Palestinian manufacturer of keffiyehs, is now struggling with sales. The Herbawi Textile Factory has 16 machines. In 1990 all 16 machines were functioning, making 750 keffiyahs a day. Today, only two machines are used, making a mere 300 keffiyahs per week. Unlike the Chinese manufactured ones, Herbawis uses 100% cotton. Yasser Herbawis son, Izzat, states the importance of creating the Palestinian symbol, in Palestine, “the keffiyah is a tradition of Palestine and it should be made in Palestine. We should be the ones making it.”.[8]"

Comment

As a householder, a 250K mortgage is OK

Feck me no wonder we're down the tubes with the perception that this is an acceptable debt.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Bugger .... the Chinese have cornered the market .... even the revolutionaries are not immune from market forces.

Keffiyeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Production

Today, this symbol of Palestinian identity is now largely imported from China. With the scarf's growing popularity in the 2000s, Chinese manufacturers entered the market, driving Palestinians out of the business.[7] In 2008, Yasser Herbawi, who for five decades had been the only Palestinian manufacturer of keffiyehs, is now struggling with sales. The Herbawi Textile Factory has 16 machines. In 1990 all 16 machines were functioning, making 750 keffiyahs a day. Today, only two machines are used, making a mere 300 keffiyahs per week. Unlike the Chinese manufactured ones, Herbawis uses 100% cotton. Yasser Herbawis son, Izzat, states the importance of creating the Palestinian symbol, in Palestine, “the keffiyah is a tradition of Palestine and it should be made in Palestine. We should be the ones making it.”.[8]"
                    I'd give yer man Yasser a call then and tell him to start the machines again; you can sell it as 'the only genuine article', with free Palestinian pebble as a bonus!

Comment

Working...
                    X