• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI and a long work break?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NI and a long work break?

Hi,

After my last contract I decided to take a long break as I'd been contracting for around 5yrs without any major time off. Well now I've been off for 6 months and I'm thinking of sitting on my backside for another couple of months . I am a little concerned about my lack of personal NI contributions though and how this effects my pension.Is there anything I should be doing (other than working obviously!). Do I need to let the HMRC know what I'm doing, stay stum, pay some NI ?????

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
    When a man says his word is as good as his bond take his bond.

Originally posted by swebb View Post
    Hi,

After my last contract I decided to take a long break as I'd been contracting for around 5yrs without any major time off. Well now I've been off for 6 months and I'm thinking of sitting on my backside for another couple of months . I am a little concerned about my lack of personal NI contributions though and how this effects my pension.Is there anything I should be doing (other than working obviously!). Do I need to let the HMRC know what I'm doing, stay stum, pay some NI ?????

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
    If you are short in a year, they will contact you and offer the chance to make it up, allocate a part year to another year, or get a refund.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      If you are short in a year, they will contact you and offer the chance to make it up, allocate a part year to another year, or get a refund.
      Ah thanks for that I'll probably just pay up for the missing year then.

I thought I had read somewhere that you can miss a few years now without effecting the pension but that might have been something to do with woman and having children, I forget.

Comment

Ah thanks for that I'll probably just pay up for the missing year then.

I thought I had read somewhere that you can miss a few years now without effecting the pension but that might have been something to do with woman and having children, I forget.
        It certainly does for women, don't know about men.

MrsF had a letter this year, and rang them about it - guy was incredibly helpful and pointed out we could have the £250 (I think) back and it wouldn't impact her pension.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well it looks like its another financial topic from the government that is clear as mud then I'll wait for them to contact me and then ask the question about the number of years required. I've already got around 24yrs so maybe I should just get all I need out the way and retire

Comment

I've already got around 24yrs so maybe I should just get all I need out the way and retire
            You can retire whenever you like, but the pension wont start until you reach retirement age.

My mother had to pay for a few missed years, it was a lot less than you'd actually pay in NI normally.

Comment

I left the UK during the 2008/2009 tax year (and obviously stopped paying NI at that point).

I didn't hear anything about missed contributions for the 2008/2009 tax year but HMRC have recently sent me a letter advising me that I have a gap for the 2009/2010 tax year and I can pay £626.60 to make it up if I want to.

Their letter states that I can make up the gap any time between now and 5th April 2016 but that it may cost more if I wait until after 5th April 2012.

I don't have make up the gap but that I won't get a full state pension without 30 years contributions (and for a man 44 years' contributions are required for 'certain bereavement benefits', whatever they are).

The letter also states that I already have 21 qualifying years' contributions - I haven't got 21 full years' employment history so I must have got some credits during the time I was a student and also being on the dole during the 1993 recession.
              Last edited by Gonzo; 16 November 2011, 20:03. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Hi Gonzo

You get NI credits when you sign on. I'd imagine the 'bereavement benefits' are a widower's pension or help with funeral costs. I'm planning on leaving my body to science so the medical school will have to pay those costs.
                Or (more likely) Mr Z will drive the old stiff out in to the country and leave it under a hedge.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Hi Gonzo

You get NI credits when you sign on. I'd imagine the 'bereavement benefits' are a widower's pension or help with funeral costs. I'm planning on leaving my body to science so the medical school will have to pay those costs.
                  Or (more likely) Mr Z will drive the old stiff out in to the country and leave it under a hedge.
                  Hi Zips.

It's hard work making decisions now about something that is not going to happen for nearly three decades.

Does anyone really think that the government retirement schemes are going to look the same then as they do now?

If I don't return to the UK and the pension rules where I am stay the same (that can't happen, they can't afford it but are still getting away with being in denial) then there is zero value in making up my missing NI years in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

It's hard work making decisions now about something that is not going to happen for nearly three decades.

Does anyone really think that the government retirement schemes are going to look the same then as they do now?
                    It's like the arguments over how they have introduced increasing the retirement age for women.

Apparently you need a minimum of 11 years to plan for your retirement. So when you are 15 years away then you need to make up the shortfall. However you may still get screwed.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X