• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance company privacy obligations...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance company privacy obligations...

Just told a PI and EL PL insurer that I was not going to take up their policy and cancel from inception.

They implied they would be informing the agent of this and the fact that I therefore wouldn't have been covered for the last two weeks and in breach of contract.

Not sure if they will follow that through. But that sounds to me like they would be shring client information with a third party. Doesn't sound right....

Am I right in thinking this is out of order?

Can I report them to the FSA for this?

By the way.. yes I am now covered as I went elsewhere. it is just that two week period where I have a gap.

Offhand, I would say they have no right whatsoever, but you'd have to read their T&Cs. It may be that they are affiliated/grouped with the agency and the contract states they are allowed to share information with other group companies.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      Offhand, I would say they have no right whatsoever, but you'd have to read their T&Cs. It may be that they are affiliated/grouped with the agency and the contract states they are allowed to share information with other group companies.
      Thanks.

Not the same group.
      Last edited by prozak; 25 November 2011, 12:05.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
        Thanks.

Not the same group.
        No, but they do have a duty of care. If you've taken out insurance to gain a contact with no intention of retaining that insurance once the contract is awarded, that is not actually playing by the rules (well, to be precise, it's fraud). They are quite right to blow the whistle since they can't be seen to be complicit in a criminal act

Behave like a professional and stick to the requirements of the contract

OK, you are now covered, but they don't know that. Negotiate cover for the gap and keep everyone happy
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          No, but they do have a duty of care. If you've taken out insurance to gain a contact with no intention of retaining that insurance once the contract is awarded, that is not actually playing by the rules (well, to be precise, it's fraud). They are quite right to blow the whistle since they can't be seen to be complicit in a criminal act

Behave like a professional and stick to the requirements of the contract

OK, you are now covered, but they don't know that. Negotiate cover for the gap and keep everyone happy
          hahahahaha.

I have no other response to such a comment.

Comment

hahahahaha.

I have no other response to such a comment.
            No, didn't think you would have.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just told a PI and EL PL insurer that I was not going to take up their policy and cancel from inception.

They implied they would be informing the agent of this and the fact that I therefore wouldn't have been covered for the last two weeks and in breach of contract.

Not sure if they will follow that through. But that sounds to me like they would be shring client information with a third party. Doesn't sound right....

Am I right in thinking this is out of order?

Can I report them to the FSA for this?

By the way.. yes I am now covered as I went elsewhere. it is just that two week period where I have a gap.
              How was the policy arranged? If, as you say, they might notify the agent then they must know who the agent is. That would be pretty unusual in a self arranged insurance which makes me think there is probably some tie in of some description between them and the agency. In this case there may be a requirement for them to dob you in.

cf some buildings insurance where the Mortgagor may have a registered interest then they may be duty bound - and often do - report cancellation to the other interested parties. Of course the mortgagor cannot prevent the cancellation, but they can point out the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                How was the policy arranged? If, as you say, they might notify the agent then they must know who the agent is. That would be pretty unusual in a self arranged insurance which makes me think there is probably some tie in of some description between them and the agency. In this case there may be a requirement for them to dob you in.

cf some buildings insurance where the Mortgagor may have a registered interest then they may be duty bound - and often do - report cancellation to the other interested parties. Of course the mortgagor cannot prevent the cancellation, but they can point out the consequences.
                Yes. I called thme back and asked a few questions. Apparently the caller was a broker chasing up for insurer. Broker deals with agency. When I clarified sharing my information she said she will inform insurer as she obviously has to but no mention of agent. So perhaps she was just bluffing to get a payment from me for the 2 weeks.

Comment

Yes. I called thme back and asked a few questions. Apparently the caller was a broker chasing up for insurer. Broker deals with agency. When I clarified sharing my information she said she will inform insurer as she obviously has to but no mention of agent. So perhaps she was just bluffing to get a payment from me for the 2 weeks.
                  Read the t&cs of the insurance policy.

If it doesn't say anything then threaten her back and actually carry out the threat as you can do it via email. Insurance firms are regulated you know.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X