• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Samsung Galaxy S doesn't update using Kies software?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Galaxy S doesn't update using Kies software?

I don't know if anyone else here is experiencing, this but when I got my Android phone it came with v2.1 Eclair and it updated itself just fine through v2.2 Froyo to v2.3 Gingerbread as soon as the releases were made public. However, the Android version I have on my phone seems to have "stuck" at 2.3.3. I've removed and downloaded the latest version of Samsung Kies software but still my phone is reported by Kies as having the latest version of Android installed even though this is untrue. The phone is sim free so not locked to a network. Anyone else having the same issue? Some of the bugs in v2.3.3 are starting to annoy me so I'd like to upgrade Android if possible.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

The latest update for the phone is the one you have.

One of the issues with android phones is that not all of them can be updated to the latest version due to their hardware.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The latest update for the phone is the one you have.

One of the issues with android phones is that not all of them can be updated to the latest version due to their hardware.
      Ahhh, thanks. I haven't heard of that before. I guess it's the built in obsolescence that Samsung are building in. I suppose they want me to upgrade to a S2, but apart from the annoying bugs, the S1 does it all for me.

Comment

THe next vesion of Android is out, but only on Nexus. S and S2 get it in Jan 2012.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Some upgrades are also conditional on your network - the G1 in the US got updates that never came to the same phone in the UK on T-mobile.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks all, the phone is used on O2 network but is a sim free phone, not locked to O2. I hope I get a software upgrade in January as the bugs in 2.3.3 are irritating.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Thanks all, the phone is used on O2 network but is a sim free phone, not locked to O2. I hope I get a software upgrade in January as the bugs in 2.3.3 are irritating.
              You've indicated why I always wait a bit before doing upgrades.

I found out that in the recent android update due to patent arguments, Google have removed some of the previous functionality. Ok you would only notice the things if you know about them and they aren't biggies, but it's annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You've indicated why I always wait a bit before doing upgrades.

I found out that in the recent android update due to patent arguments, Google have removed some of the previous functionality. Ok you would only notice the things if you know about them and they aren't biggies, but it's annoying.
                Thanks, I've founds a new release fixes some bugs but there always seems to be be new ones coming along and sometimes I don't see other folks reporting them either. Current two annoyances with my Galaxy S are- having to press the red button twice to end a call and the last release disabled the ability to pick up a call by pressing the home button (despite the feature being checked as "on"). Minor annoyances, but those two functions were fine in the previous release!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Thanks, I've founds a new release fixes some bugs but there always seems to be be new ones coming along and sometimes I don't see other folks reporting them either.
                  People don't report things if:
                  1. it doesn't really bug them,
                  2. they don't know how to report it, OR,
                  3. they do know how to report it but the forum/bug logging tool is a hassle to use.

Comment

You could always try a third party ROM. I am using Darky's latest.

DarkyROM

Comment

Working...
                    X